·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MEMORANDUM

Posted: February 11, 2013 04:03 PM

To: All House members

Subject: Co-Sponsor- Amending Title 34 Game

In the coming weeks, I intend to introduce legislation amending Title 34 (Game) to provide Pennsylvania’s approximately 18,000 disabled hunters equal opportunity to harvest game in the field.

The proposed legislation seeks to grant individuals with a lifetime disabled persons hunting permit use of electric motorized off-highway vehicles for the purposes of hunting.

My legislation would allow lifetime disabled permit hunters the ability to hunt game from an electric motorized off-highway vehicle and places restrictions on other vehicles such as automobiles which are currently used as mobile blinds. These restrictions would include requiring all non-electric motorized vehicles to be used only as a blind or platform from which to shoot, and prohibiting its use to flush or locate game. Under my proposal, these restrictions would not apply to electric motorized off-highway vehicles.

As an avid hunter, I find this issue to be of paramount importance. Hunters who are disabled cannot access to the same areas as non-disabled individuals. My legislation would seek to address this inequality.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
I LOVE this for people who are TRULY disabled, but there in lies the issue. Who is going to decide what defines "lifetime disabled", hopefully not the same doctors that put perfectly able and/or obese people on disability for their entire lives when they really shouldn't be.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
"These restrictions would include requiring all non-electric motorized vehicles to be used only as a blind or platform from which to shoot, and prohibiting its use to flush or locate game. <span style="font-weight: bold">Under my proposal, these restrictions would not apply to electric motorized off-highway vehicles.</span>"
So it appears he would allow the operators of electric vehicles to drive around with a loaded firearm and use the vehicle to flush game. What nonsense. What makes electric vehicles any different than internal combustion engine atvs when it comes to using it to flush game and to possess a loaded firearm? Typical Hanna nonsense.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I can see someone who is unable to walk being able to drive his electric vehicle along the edge of a field and getting a chance at some rabbits or pheasants he otherwise would not see. True there will be those who abuse this but for some it is this use of sitting alone missing out of a hunt.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They can already do that on a regulated hunting ground for birds where there can be a lot of control. I really don't want people driving around with loaded guns and shooting on land open to hunting.

<span style="font-weight: bold">(b) Regulated hunting grounds.--A permit may be issued to hunt on a regulated hunting ground to any person who presents a doctor's certificate showing that the person is physically unable to walk for an extended period of time, authorizing him to hunt for, pursue and kill from an automobile or other vehicle on regulated hunting grounds those species of game authorized for release on such areas, subject to rules and regulations prescribed by the commission. The permittee shall carry the permit while hunting on regulated hunting ground</span>

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
What makes electric vehicles any different than internal combustion engine atvs when it comes to using it to flush game and to possess a loaded firearm?
I agree with John S on this one. ( did I just type that)

Flipping channels the other day I seen a whole new line of electric and electric / fuel ATV's on the market. Same tires and all. This would be devastating to habitst.

I have nothing against SGL road use beyond the gates but not through the fields and forest flushing game.

Picture one golf cart cris crossing a weed/brush field or brier patch. Now picture multiple carts doing this multiple times. Heck golf carts even have designated areas even on a golf course for this same reason. Waugh!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
If any other state allows them, we'll hear how backward we are if we're not all for it.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
hdt said:
If any other state allows them, we'll hear how backward we are if we're not all for it.
isn't that the truth
yet other times we are "a unique state". Guess it depends on the agenda

·
Registered
575 Posts
I can can stil remember it now...

Last week of the spring goobbler season. Still haven't filled my tag. On a wary silent bird that seems to finally be coming in on the rope when...

Two handi-capable guys come screaming through my setup in a an all electric side-by-side thus ruining the hunt. Apparrently they were drawn to the sound of my hen calling?!?

As has been mentioned, there are legitimate people that could feasibly have their access improved, but it has to be the "right" people, on the "right" electric vehicles, in the right places that can safely accomodate the use.

I do not believe a disability should give you the ability to drive anything you want. There should be standards to minimize negative impacts to the habitat, such as size and weight restrictions. Else chaos ensues. It never ceases to amaze me the number of perfectly capable individuals I see crawling out of vehicles brandishing a handicapped tag. Sad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts