Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Co-sponsorship Memo:

MEMORANDUM

Posted: January 2, 2013 11:01 AM

To: All House members

Subject: Amending Title 30 and Title 34 prior HB 1497 and 1498

In the near future, I plan to re-introduce legislation amending Title 30 (Fish and Boat Code) and Title 34 (Game Code) respectively, to grant preference points to deputy waterways conservation officers and deputy Game Commission officers who pass a civil service exam for the position of waterways conservation officer or trainee, or Game Commission officer or trainee.

The legislation will provide that each deputy officer who has completed at least three years of active service prior to taking the civil service exam for the aforementioned positions shall receive ten preference points applied to their final exam score. Additionally, the legislation provides that an officer who is among the top three available candidates on the certification list for those positions shall have mandatory preference over non-veteran candidates. A deputy officer who is on the civil service list for the position of officer trainee may be appointed regardless of their rank on the list.

Currently, deputy waterways and game officers receive no preference whatsoever in their quest to become full-time officers or trainees. I believe that those dedicated individuals who have already spent considerable time in the outdoors gaining invaluable experience and learning from full-fledged officers should obviously have preference over those who have not. I respectfully ask for your support in this regard.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legi...;cosponId=10438

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1077 Fish - 1079 Game

·
Registered
669 Posts
This is long over due.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Very long over due.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I do not agree, the cival service test is not that hard most can average around 90. You do not have to be that smart to get a 81. So we should give the job to someone far less intelligent, just because they were there. Its like putting in a 3rd string running back when you have a 1st string all stater sitting on the bench. If the test was harder and most got lower scores who deserved them than I would agree. In high school a friend was dumb as a rock, he went to the military. Another friend was a hustler, smarter, far more athletic, and twice the man the other was and he got 2 points higher because of his 10 points. Though he went to the military the other man went to work and ran his own hardcore construction company the dumb [censored] got the job. And it has happened to many. I know a postal worker who did the same and failed courses in high school and barely passed them when he had to retake them but his 10 points put him over far more intelligent people taking the test.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Did you ever see the civil service test given to potential WCOs? It is not a standard test, it is geared towards the job as well as other catagories. In addition, there is a minumum score that must be attained to move on to an interview even if you pass it doesn't maean you get a shot. Deouties are a known quantify, they have done the job, they are already familure with most aspects of the job and if they were not fit for the job they wouldn't be deputies. Your ridiculous statements are an insult toi every deputy in the state.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm not insulting anyone. You would have made a good school superintendent. It is no different then leaving a teacher on the job just because they been there even though the kids scores are terrible for years. As far as deputies for the PGC I applaud all of them and would love to see them reimbersed for there time and expensises, I have seen some deputies who are a good as the local WCO himself. Reiemberse these harder working deputies not the ones who put time in maybe doing nothing. Sounds like a union for deputies. Is the point system giving them some kind of special rights? Im not familiar with the system, and if the civil service test is different for the PGC, then I appologize.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You sure have a vivid imagination. I didn't say to hire deputys just because they are deputies and I sure didn't say hire them because they aren't any good. All this does is give people who have devoted time and money to the PGC and the public already, know what is going to be expected of them and who the PGC already knows if they will make a good WCO or not a leg up on someone who doesn't know the job, who may quit during the training school year or shortly thereafter because they found the job isn't for them, thereby occupying a space that a good candidate may have taken. The vetting process weeds out most but some slip through who don't have a clue and then quit, wasting a lot of time any money for the PGC. This would be no different than the 10 points given to veterans on their final score, not the test score.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Some people are just not good at taking tests..they know what to do, when to do it, but a "written test" does not fair well. This is no different than Vet. pref. points. It gives an edge to those that have done the job.
I know DWCO's that run the district while an full time WCO is on vacation, but just isnt good at written tests. Just because someone gets the extra points does not mean they will still get hired in the end. It helps get them through the begining Civil Service portion to allow the Commission a little more input on their employment

Again, its a bonus for the service they have given...kudos

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
John S said:
You sure have a vivid imagination. I didn't say to hire deputys just because they are deputies and I sure didn't say hire them because they aren't any good. All this does is give people who have devoted time and money to the PGC and the public already, know what is going to be expected of them and who the PGC already knows if they will make a good WCO or not a leg up on someone who doesn't know the job, who may quit during the training school year or shortly thereafter because they found the job isn't for them, thereby occupying a space that a good candidate may have taken. The vetting process weeds out most but some slip through who don't have a clue and then quit, wasting a lot of time any money for the PGC. This would be no different than the 10 points given to veterans on their final score, not the test score.
Makes common sense but I was under the conclusion it was a regular cival service test where nearly anyone can get a 81, but a 90 is harder to obtain, so the vet with the 10 given points makes a 91 and gets the job. In this case theres a huge intelligence gap between that 81 and the 90 so when we add 10 points to the 81 we are throwing in a class far over his or her intellegence level. Then I agree with [email protected], If I'm working a bear trap release or something dangerous I may want a good woodsman for a deputy that may have only made a 65, than the 91 scorer who is scared to death. Guess it can work both ways. BUT again I have high regaurds for all deputies many use there spare time and own resources.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They all use their own time and resources. To become a deputy you must buy, handgun, specified by the agency, leather gear to go with handgun, handcuffs and other incidentals and a mobile radio on PGC frequency for the vehicle. You use your own vehicle for patrol and your auto insurance may increase because the vehicle is used for law enforcement. The stipend a deputy recieves for their service doesn;t pay for the fuel they use in hunting season at 3.50 or more a gallon and they work year round.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
So would a DWCO who is also a veteran get 20 points? Waugh!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts