The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
House Bill 1048

Short Title:
An Act amending the act of June 28, 1935 (P.L.477, No.193), referred to as the Enforcement Officer Disability Benefits Law, extending benefits to certain employees of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission; and making editorial changes.

Prime Sponsor: Representative HARKINS

Last Action:
Referred to GAME AND FISHERIES, April 27, 2015 [House]

Memo:
Legislation Providing Additional Benefits to Enforcement Officers and Investigators of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/bill...e=B&bn=1048

Click highest printer # for most current text.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MEMORANDUM

Posted:
February 2, 2015 11:39 AM

Representative Patrick Harkins

To:
All House members

Subject:
Legislation Providing Additional Benefits to Enforcement Officers and Investigators of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission

In the near future, I will be re-introducing legislation (House Bill 1345) that would amend the Enforcement Officer Disability Benefits Law of 1935, more commonly known as the Heart and Lung Act, to add enforcement officers and investigators of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission to those employees covered under the act.

As you may know, employees covered under the Heart and Lung Act receive compensation, including full wage replacement and paid medical expenses, if they are injured while performing their official duties. It is my understanding that certain employees, such as state and local police and sheriffs, are covered under the act because they provide an important public service that can sometimes cause them harm.

While there certainly may be other employees performing valuable public services left out of the act, one group of employees that I believe should be added to those covered under the act are enforcement officers and investigators of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. In the performance of their duties, these employees sometimes find themselves in volatile situations where the individual they encounter may be carrying a knife or firearm.

In an effort to better protect these employees while serving the public, the legislation that I will be re-introducing would add “any enforcement officer or investigator of the Pennsylvania Game Commission or the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission” to the list of employees covered by this act. By including these individuals, we will be affording them comparable benefits to others charged with the responsibility of enforcing the laws of our Commonwealth.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legi...;cosponId=17111

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long over due to pass the legislature.

They should name this bill the WCO David Grove Memorial Bill.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
In an effort to better protect these employees while serving the public,
How about protecting the public that pay the taxes that support the often times bloated pensions and health benefits of public sector workers that are driving many state and local governments to the brink of bankruptcy

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
dpms said:
How about protecting the public that pay the taxes that support the often times bloated pensions and health benefits of public sector workers that are driving many state and local governments to the brink of bankruptcy
This has nothing to do with pensions, which by the way WCO's pay into and do not have the L.E. Retirement, WCOs must currently work until they are at least 60 years old. Now on topic..

Currently if a WCO is hurt on the job he can get workmans comp, during that time you must pay all your out of pocket deductions on health care and insurance, At the one year mark if you cannot come back you lose your health care for you and your family the only thing covered is your on the job injury. At the two year mark if you still cannot return you are retired at half of your wages and no health coverage for you and your family. Most WCO make between 40 to 50 thousand a year. So a WCO that is injured in the line of duty is medically retired for 20 to 25 thousand a year, no health benefits and cannot work. I was out for an on the job injury at one time for almost a year, I almost lost everything.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
R.W.J said:
dpms said:
This has nothing to do with pensions, which by the way WCO's pay into and do not have the L.E. Retirement, WCOs must currently work until they are at least 60 years old. Now on topic..

You missed my point. It is time for politicians to work towards doing something positive for the taxpaying private sector to help ease their burdens through their working years and on into retirement. Instead of placing so much emphasis these days on pumping up unions, bolstering retirement benefits for public sector workers that are not sustainable, and prolonging a dependence of govt which is supported by taxpaying private sector workers. All of which are bankrupting this country.

Because another public sector worker gets one thing, that should not make it automatic that another gets the same benefits if the country, states, school districts, and local govts are going bankrupt.

Sorry, but the taxpaying private sector entities are fed up with giving more to the public sector when it is the public sector killing all of us.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
dpms said:
R.W.J said:
dpms said:

You missed my point. It is time for politicians to work towards doing something positive for the taxpaying private sector to help ease their burdens through their working years and on into retirement. Instead of placing so much emphasis these days on pumping up unions, bolstering retirement benefits for public sector workers that are not sustainable, and prolonging a dependence of govt which is supported by taxpaying private sector workers. All of which are bankrupting this country.

Because another public sector worker gets one thing, that should not make it automatic that another gets the same benefits if the country, states, school districts, and local govts are going bankrupt.

Sorry, but the taxpaying private sector entities are fed up with giving more to the public sector when it is the public sector killing all of us.
So because the private sector isn't getting it the public sector shouldn't either?
When I left the private sector I was laughed at by fellow employees because I was taking such a pay cut, It has taken me 15 years to get back to where I was when I left the private sector. I as well as many public employees saw the writing on the wall that the glut of private sector making money hands over fist wouldn't last forever, You never get rich working the public sector, It goes right back to the tortoise and the hare. BTW us public employees pay taxes also. but once again we are off topic.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
Not really off topic because the topic is about a bill that could be voted on by our elected officials. We can support, oppose, or stand by and do nothing. I have expressed my views on public sector benefits and how we pay for them moving forward. You have expressed your views.

I will oppose the bill. You will probably support it. Each for our own reasons. Others may do the same.

·
Registered
16,541 Posts
State Correctional Officers and State probation officers are covered under the heart and lung act. but county correctional officers and county probation officers are not covered either.

I personally know several officers on each side that have lost their jobs due to work related injuries and could not return to work with in that two year period, they lost everything and still cant work.

living on disability.

ALL law enforcement and first responders should be covered as well.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
dpms said:
R.W.J said:
dpms said:

This has nothing to do with someone getting any sort of great benefits b/c someone else has it. This is ensuring that when an officer is injured in the line of duty they are taken care of and provided with what they need to continue taking care of their family. We're not talking about giving no someone a bloated pension or an undeserved pension.

For what it's worth, I think your remarks are off base and clouded by your resentment for all things public servant.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
hacimsaalk said:
For what it's worth, I think your remarks are off base and clouded by your resentment for all things public servant.
Nope. Public sector workers provide essential services needed by taxpayers. No resentment there. No issues with public sector pay or bennies, if they can be paid for sustainably without raping the private sector, and increasing debt or tax burdens. History has shown govt is incapable of doing that. Therefore, until that culture changes, there will be no support from me for bills of this type.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Yes, I had the exact same situation happen to me that RJW cited as an "example". Where is my compensation? Is the family of a public sector employee worth that much more than my family? I worked in the private sector, so I had to adhere to what the state workers comp law is, but this is above and beyond that. So yes, it is INDEED A PERK!!

This makes it so they not only get compensated the same way a private sector employee does, but way above and beyond.

Nothing against law enforcement, firefighters, etc. I know lots of them, I think they should be compensated well, which most are. I would agree that if you get shot or something like that, maybe a little extra compensation would be due. But this would give all that extra money out even if a guy has the same injury as I did, back problems. I was in the private sector, so I received workers comp. according to PA law, 80% up to a max of $655 a week. Sounds great, except I was bringing home $1000 a week, quite a pay cut for a full year. After the first year, the company is no longer responsible for your regular benefits, so unless you want your family to have no health coverage, you start paying COBRA at about %1,200 a month. I'm sure you can see where this is going. Your already at a $350 a week pay cut, then they expect you to pay an additional $1,200 a month?? This is PA law, not something that a private business makes up, it's this way for everyone in the state....I guess except the "select few". Private sector can't afford to do that, and looks like the state agrees, or they would change the WC rules. But public sector doesn't care, since they have an endless supply of money.

If you don't think that is a perk, not sure what you would consider it.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
The WCOs have a dangerous job and I will not argue about them getting decent benefits...Just as the state police do..

·
Registered
16,541 Posts
anyone that puts their life on the line protecting others knowing full well that they may be killed and not get to go home and see their own family because they died protecting yours can have whatever benefits the law allows as far as I am concerned.

Giving your own life so a stranger can live and your children can grow up with out you around...WOW

how do you put a tag on that?

Yet some folks in our Government want to limit and lower the benefits our men and women in the military get, I think before they ever vote on something like that they should go over there and go on a few missions with those brave souls.

WCO's have a dangerous job, everyone they encounter has a weapon and some are willing to kill to get away for poaching a deer...A DEER...really?

Waterways Conservation Officers have had weapons pulled on them over FISH...folks are willing to kill for FISH, the people that are willing to kill someone to get away with a crime need to be removed from the face of this earth as fast as possible.

volunteer firefighters need better coverage too.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree with dmccoy and dpms. Not a LEO hater and have no axe to grind with government employees. I worked underground mining coal for 37 year. People I knew were hurt and some died mining coal that was essential to keep you from freezing in the dark. I don't see where those working as a WCO were any more noble or deserving than my buddies I worked with were.

·
Registered
16,541 Posts
Coal mining is extremely dangerous with out adding in all the health hazards, like black lung.

since the nickname of the law we are all talking about is the heart and lung act: why are coal miners not covered?

that job slowly takes your health away from day one.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
burk313 said:
The WCOs have a dangerous job and I will not argue about them getting decent benefits...Just as the state police do..
A Wildlife Conservation Officer is far down the list of dangerous jobs. Very far.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
You get hurt on the job, you get workmans comp. 500 weeks here in Pa. Get hurt or disabled where you can no longer work, you can go on Social Security Disability. You'll also recieve Medicare too. If those safeguards seem inadequate, you can buy supplemental disability coverage. Folks, the government can only do so much for you. People today think there is no end to what can be spent. An old time UMWA leader I knew expressed it best... "We want every payday off, and every day is payday."

1 - 20 of 42 Posts