The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually beat the squirrels to my hazelnuts this year. Mine are planted. Do any of you guys have wild hazelnut on your property?

·
Registered
384 Posts
That is great! Those squirrels are so hard to beat.

I don't have wild hazelnuts. I would like to but had to plant hazelnut seedlings instead. In what county are your wild hazels? What type of habitat do they occur natively? Do you release these by killing invasives or do they compete well?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine were planted as seedlings but started producing very young. I was wondering the same thing, though. I have never actually seen them in the wild and they are supposed to be native. I wonder if people come across the wild ones in PA.

·
Registered
384 Posts
ok. I see. thought you had them growing natively. I have heard there are native stands in Northwestern PA. I have not seen any native Hazels myself.
Did you plant your seedlings in a field or woods? Which type of habitat are they doing best?
I have a lot of Allegheny Chinkapin but I am just starting to establish Hazelnuts.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I apologize for posting a bit off topic.

No hazel nuts here, but your thread reminded me of when I was a kid going for walks with my Dad & Uncle Joe picking and eating hickory nuts... (they are hard to find anymore)..

thanks for the flashback to the simple days

·
Registered
593 Posts
I got some for the first time on planted ones. How do you prepare them? I heard bake or eat right after cracking. I tried right after cracking and they seem like they should dry some. I don't know. And how to store them? The kid loved cracking them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We dry them until about Thanksgiving. Once they are dry we eat them raw. Once they are dry, I plan on cracking all of them, then vacuum sealing them in small bags and throwing them in the freezer.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have two that are six years old. Last year I got one nut. This year the same tree has one and the other has four. Is this what they produce? I was hoping for a lot more. What do you use for fertilizer. I did put wood ashes on them last winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My father has a three trees in his yard. I picked about 2 gallon of nuts off of one and didn't get them all. A second tree is loaded as well and the third barely has any. I would say they are about 10 years old. I think these are a tame variety though.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The 2 bushes I got are 5yrs old, planted from a little twig. The first few years were a struggle with the dogs getting after them. I lost some good growth and set me back a bit. Last year no nuts this year picked maybe a gallons worth. Branches were really hanging low with nice bunches of 5 nuts. The one more shaded tree didn't produce as many.

I put rabbit manure, worm tea, and worm castings around them, a few times throughout the year.

·
Registered
802 Posts
HD1969 said:
I apologize for posting a bit off topic.

No hazel nuts here, but your thread reminded me of when I was a kid going for walks with my Dad & Uncle Joe picking and eating hickory nuts... (they are hard to find anymore)..

thanks for the flashback to the simple days
I have tons of hickory nuts on my property. quite tasty too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts