The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Great pic.

Will someone explain these sets to me. I assume for fox or coyote? Are these set on the edges like many other sets where the trapper can easily see if he caught something? Looks like an elaborate set, I'd hate for my stupid dogs to go ruin a set like that by getting caught. Now I know if I see something like this to try and call my dogs into a different direction.

Registered
Great pic.

Will someone explain these sets to me. I assume for fox or coyote? Are these set on the edges like many other sets where the trapper can easily see if he caught something? Looks like an elaborate set, I'd hate for my stupid dogs to go ruin a set like that by getting caught. Now I know if I see something like this to try and call my dogs into a different direction.
LostAgain, Haysets can be placed just about anywhere. Alot of guys place them in felids at good intersections, crop changes, logging roads coming out of woods etc. Typically, the critter, Coyote, Fox or really any land furbearer see's the set and as gets closer relates fresh hay or grass with mice. Then the fox or coyote works the set just like any other set. Alot of guys use them this time of the year because they are very low maintenance. You dont have to get crazy with bedding your traps and 95% of the time don't have to worry about traps freezing. You can catch anything on these sets. I know 2 guys that this is their main set form the end of oct to the end of trapping season. They work very well. Basically, if you see Hay in a spot that you typically shouldn't then there is a good chance there is at least 1 trap but usually 2 under the hay.

Registered
Great, my idiots can get 2 legs caught at once :eek:. But the way you describe where they set them, we wont run into any where we run this time of year.

Registered
Legally set traps dont bother me, feel bad for the trapper who then has to reset them.

One year in NY I was up to hunt on a Sunday, and they had a youth trappers weekend(wondered why there were so many people around). Got set to run a creek bed, and one of the adults drove by and warned me they had traps set there. I still hunted there, dogs never found a trap. Hopefully if they get trapped once they will learn their lesson and not get trapped again. Another time I heard a gunshot close to a road, thought maybe someone ground swatted a grouse. Turned out a youth caught a coon right aside of the parking area and the shot I heard was dispatching it. It was one happy boy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my goofy mt cur hit them until she learned what they are. now she stays back and looks at them.

Reactions: Longbeard12

Registered
Great pic.

There's been several threads discussing them this week on here, and there is a great post that is pinned to the top of the trapping section by foxtrapperwoman. I do my sets pretty much according to her post but I add backers to create a bit of a walkthrough. I also have been using straw instead of hay, another topic that has been discussed on here recently.

They are not elaborate at all. I'd say it's the easiest and quickest set that I know of.

Funny you say that about seeing something like it. Everywhere I go now if I see a small clump of hay in a field I wonder if it's a trap.

Reactions: Longbeard12
1 - 10 of 10 Posts