The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ran some coon sets last week to pick up a few more big boars,thought i would try a hay set for fox never used it.set 2 locations hay set and dirt hole at each 10ft. apart.first check had fox in dirt hole,next day fox in dirt hole at other location.pulled traps.just can't get myself to not sift dirt over my traps.hay is for horses.
hay set

dirt hole

dirthole result

some coon from last week

·
Registered
653 Posts
I tried them before also just can't do it. LOL

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Are you setting in a lot of snow?

I can't get that into them on bare ground either (though they are plenty effective and I've caught foxes and coyotes in them that way) but in deep snow, they're so much easier to work with!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I put one near a dirthole just to see what all the hype was about. Dirthole 6 hay set 0. Pretty sure I won't be wasting any more time with them.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I had side by side dirtholes one year go 8 to nothing, you just never know.
I've caught lots of foxes, coons, and a few coyotes in haysets/trash sets.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would bet a lot of money that if the dirtholes werent there the hay sets would have produced fur. I had dirtholes out and had fox walk right by them on one particular property. Switched everything to hay sets and waalllaaahhh! A fox the next morning and then another a day later. All depends on the pressure and where you trap... location, location, location.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Dont know that ive had any canine catches without snow at haysets..

Trash mound/chaff sets yes...

If i go to camp next weekend i will see what does better for me up there....

Here at home it seeks equal but haysets work when my dirt sets didnt...i now have waxed dirt...so that shouldn't be an issue...i will be making numerous sets in 1 small area...last time i made 6 and 3 got hit...when i.went back a few days after i pulled they were all being worked hard except my hole lured with yote gland and urine...

Im slighlty fired up to head up there...dont know if i will have snow though...my guess is maybe..lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can see using the hay for backing but i would blend my trap with dirt in front.still no need to, just will use dirt holes they catch fox and no need to carry hay around.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Picked up a coyote in a hayset this weekend on a property my brother and I trap together. His set / his traps, so his coyote though dang it. LOL

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Buddy has a red yote living in his pasture...i found where it crawled under the gate atleast 3 times..so highly active since weve gotten some snow...

With freezing rain, melting snow, rain, and freezing temps at nite i made a hay set right in its trail...if the deer dont fire the traps, i feel i stand a good chance of nabbing the yote...

I kinda have a duty to get the thing caught...it is living within 150yds of the barn and its his heifer farm...calves go over there as soon as they are off milk and weather is broke...easy pray for a hungry yote with pups to feed...it was seen there in rifle season and just the other day...my guess is a female getting ready for pup season and she found a pasture loaded with multiflora and rabbits...

Id love to have other sets on the trail but with this weather and frozen ground, the hayset was the only thing i was.confident in...

Will post pics if i get it caught!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts