The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
They are truly a love - hate type scope. I personally don't like the illuminated scope. The lighted circles tend to blurr too much for my taste. The Hawke MAP is a very capable scope.(for me) The lighted reticle might add a few more minutes to the hunt at the very end of legal shooting hours.
That being said, I will be using a lighted reticle this season. It will be the XB-30 more than likely. The light on this model turns down so low, that it is barely visable.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Nice clear glass. I liked the illuminated circle. It was very nice. I am getting one for a Tornado.

Koz

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Is the illumination adjustable?

I went to a red dot just so the extra half hour we now have, the x-hir doesn't disappear when it is on a deer.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The Hawke SR has a five position, red and green light. Green is a much more comfortable color for me to handle.

The red seems to merge into a blob of light that makes it impossible for me to see where I'm aiming.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a red dot and I HATED it in the daylight it was hard to see and in low light conditions that was all you could see. I hope the green does not reflect back as much. Can that scope be used as a regular scope (turn the lights off ) or is that the only reticle ?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The Hawke SR can be turned off. It works great in daylight and is easy to see. I can see that the light might be useful during those rainy/foggy evenings when the daylight fades early.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The XB 30 is also going to be illuminated. I like it much better than the Hawke SR. It has crosshairs like this + that get smaller as the yardage increases and the light turns down low enough that the +'s don't merge.

Ten Point also makes a three dot illuminated scope (made by Hawke) that works for some. It has three dots that can be seen in daylight and when the light starts to fade you can turn on the illumination.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts