The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a big male possum in my set this morning. he was just hanging out in this big open field. strange thing is when i entered the field on my fourwheeler 3 red tailed hawks flew out of the trees overlooking said field. now i didnt catch anything happening but im wondering if anyone has ever had issues with a hawk messing with a trapped animal. they certainly had a hungry look in their eyes.

·
Registered
436 Posts
havent had the issue myself, but not a doubt in my mind at all they'd take advantage of a free meal if given the chance. i've had yote/fox beat me to catches before; hawks would do the same. there's a reason PA doesnt allow bait visible from the air.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Don't think anything eats possum..
But, had it been a rabbit stuck in that trap it would've been gone (more like torn to ribbons.) Have had that happen to me twice when blind setting trails and accidentally catching rabbits. Have also had rabbit stolen by canines but there's usually just a rabbits foot left when that happens. The Raptors will eat it right there.....

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was just funny to see 3 hawks, in a field where they wouldnt normally all be at the same time, staring at this possum. i agree though, nothin wants to eat them stinky grinners.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i caught a turkey buzzard last week in a flat set after a possum i had in it the day before, tossed it in fence row, didn't toss him far enough lol

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I had a hawk try flying away with a rabbit one time. He wasn't happy when he hit the end of the chain.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I had a redtail eat a trapped possum, caught him in the act. I've also had a vulture eat a skunk that was dispatched and left in the trap to "blow off."

·
Registered
182 Posts
Had a possum foot in a trap once with catch circle, a feet away there were possum remains. Ripped apart by something, coyote? Wasn't much left but some fur.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
by the sounds of these last posts im glad i got their when i did mightve saved a 2 dollar bill XD

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nice double wardog! Taken at a prime location with sets that you felt were perfect I'm sure. Only those types of sets would be messed up by such a double....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts