The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Kids don't hold cell phones of wear ear buds in our family, it's tough to hear what chore is next and can't move firewood with a phone in your hand.

Reactions: steelhead125

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Anyhow guys I hope I am not giving everyone the impression that I am some sort of chronic complainer who is never happy . I actually count my blessings every single day and feel very blessed. With that being said I think I am going through withdrawal. I love being in the woods and miss it tremendously. I always feel like no matter how much time I get to spend in the outdoors it never feels like enough.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I always feel like no matter how much time I get to spend in the outdoors it never feels like enough.
I have hunted almost 50 days this year between ohio and pennsylvania and feel like i have hardly had time in the woods. I still have a lot of time to get out but I will be having withdrawal all to soon. Every year it seems like the time between the opener and the end of january is just the blink of an eye and a total blur. Getting older really makes me see how fast the seasons that we have to hunt go by and makes me want to hold on with all i have to every minute in the woods.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Steel,

I read through this thread and I feel your pain. I have 4 daughters, all grown now. Oh, there were days.... I've blown my top any number of times. Usually best to go back later and calmly explain why you reacted the way you did. That being said, its hard to have a rational conversation with a child. Sometimes they just need to know you're boss, and that they'd better get used to it. Rules and boundaries are what keep them safe and help them feel loved and secure. I'll echo what others have said, after reading many of your posts, I get the sense that you're a good dad and husband. Just the fact that you are willing to put yourself out there to vent and to seek advice and encouragement says a lot about your character.

As for being out of touch with "pop culture", yeah me too, and I'm thankful for that. There's a lot out there I don't want to be in touch with and don't want to have an open mind to. I tried to steer my girls away from that stuff and sadly I lost one of them to it. I'll not go into specifics, but I'll just say that my heart aches over the situation.

I do understand the woods time being a release and using it to clear your head. I'm right there with you on that. I get a little cranky when I don't get to spend time in the outdoors.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!!!

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Steel your not alone, I lost my sh..t o my 25 year old son last night for a comment he made before leaving to meet his old college buddies for the nite before thanksgiving bar ritual. We were extremely close to throwing hands, but my wife intervened. Never got to that point before but last evening we did. As I type this I feel like heading for camp now instead of tomorrow, but I know deep down that’s wrong and would leave my wife explaining why I’m not around for dinner to 15 family members.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
At the breakfast table this morning I had my 7 year old write "I will not call my Dad an idiot" 10 times. You're not alone in this
Ha,ha,ha....now that made me laugh.

Been through all that and now watching grandkids grow.
What you younger fellas are experiencing is all normal and natural and you just do the best you can. From what I've read on here, you guys (Steel, Fairchild and others) with young families are darn good fathers. Answers aren't always easy.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about Steel, the outdoors is the only place I can escape the noise of the modern world. I carry my work with me mentally almost all the time, except for when I'm in the woods or on the trout stream. It's my own fault and I know it I just can't help myself. Add to that the breakdown of modern society and the things being pushed on us and especially on the kids these days it can really burn you out pretty quick. I have friends who are shocked that I love heading north and not having a cell signal for long periods at a time, and other than worrying about emergencies at home It's an amazing feeling to me. I don't have any biological kids but I helped raise my wife's 2 daughters and I basically consider them my own, they're both out of the house now and considering the times we live in they're good kids and have decent heads on their shoulders. They're both more "modern" than I would like but both know right from wrong and are trying to make a path in life. Every family dynamic is unique and mine is definitely different than yours in that my wife had them both young she's 43 I'm 39 and the girls are 23 and 19 and I came into their lives about 9 years ago and with two dead beat dads I was essentially the only father figure. For the small day to day troubles, I was the calm and collected one where she has a shorter fuse but both girls knew if I got involved, it was serious business, and they still do lol. I've taken that same "ride" many times and in my experience, it can be a real benefit to help situations cool down. So keep your head up you seem like a good man and a good father, we just happen to be living in a time that's not easy for people like the majority of us on this forum.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts