The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
Been on here long enought to know Steelheads a good dad. End of story.

To all you young dads here, i'll tell you how it is. If your kids have no fear that you will flip out on them, you're not doing your job.

And Pa Bone, well done sir, well done. Adult children get no slack in my world when it comes to being polite and respectful. But i have learned to avoid politics, theres just no good can come of it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
As they say about old long gone hunting dogs "the deader they are, the better they are"....there are always "modern times" that keep people pining away for the good old days...guess what to this generation these may be the good old days. Every generation and time had its struggles...if yours is too much modernization...just be glad it isn't not having food or unavailable medical care or something that is a genuine hardship.

Regardless you are where you are in this life. Enjoy it, you cant change it, so as I said to a friend who always had some kind of misery in his life..ADAPT OR DIE....its as easy as that.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Im almost 64 and light at the end of the retirement tunnel is bigger and brighter as my enthusiasm wanes for working at the school I am head of facilities for. A rough week this week as I deal with a clogged sewer main ,backed up manholes and a few out of 400 kids flushing sanitary products, wipes and paper towels down the toilets. Before covid and cyber learning they did this to try to shut the school down for a day. it wont work now with stay at home classes for snowdays etc. i am going to camp on friday until wed if I can just to re-center and listen to nature and no traffic, no cell service, nothin but nature around me. Fortunately family is great so tomorrows festivities will not be stressfull and I can begin to unwind.
Take the time even for only a n hour or 2 to walk in the woods near home and breathe!

·
Registered
13,394 Posts
A rough week this week as I deal with a clogged sewer main ,backed up manholes and a few out of 400 kids flushing sanitary products, wipes and paper towels down the toilets
Reminds me of a story the maintenance man at our building would tell. He had what he described as a particularly pompous fellow in one of his buildings ask: "My good man, could you please see to it that the toilets flush with more enthusiasm?" Course he told it with mannerisms and embellishments and it was funny as heck. :LOL:

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
As they say about old long gone hunting dogs "the deader they are, the better they are"....there are always "modern times" that keep people pining away for the good old days...guess what to this generation these may be the good old days. Every generation and time had its struggles...if yours is too much modernization...just be glad it isn't not having food or unavailable medical care or something that is a genuine hardship.

Regardless you are where you are in this life. Enjoy it, you cant change it, so as I said to a friend who always had some kind of misery in his life..ADAPT OR DIE....its as easy as that.
Bingo post. Culture evolves and each generation faces different challenges. Discipline is everlasting, instill it in your children. Adapt.

As far as returning to the real world after being at camp.....I literally hate it. Solitude and quiet are my friends. I feel blessed to have property I can escape to.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Steel i wish i had some good words to share with you but having to return to the real world just sucks.When you spend some time in the woods and your biggest worry is moving at the wrong time and spooking deer- or dropping half of your only candy bar- getting back to your job and the chaos of regular life is never easy. As far as the kids go if they do remember, it will be through the lens of hindsight and respect that only comes with age to know you cared enough to raise them the right way.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Johnny Prine has a song “Lonesome Friends of Science”
I have to play that once in a while to put the world in perspective
If you don’t manage your own house, how can you manage anything else. That’s actually a biblical principle.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
When I speak to my coworkers at our yearly retreat one thing I emphasize is FRAME YOUR DAY IN REALITY. Having a dream life or unrealistic expectations of your days or life are the surest way to live in constant disappointment. Disappointment leads to frustration and frustration makes no situation better.
Hunting season is like vacation...when you come back reality is still there. Sure we would all dream of different thing that would be ideal..but for 99.9% of us we don't live in that dream. Grasp your reality and make the absolute most of it. The sooner you do that the less time you have to worry about what ideal would be, but isnt.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
I’m sure you’ve thought it over quite a bit, but I’d be careful about chasing a pair of golden handcuffs too.
I’ve turned down opportunities to make a bunch of money, but it came with sacrifices I wasn’t willing to make.
Some people are born to be tied down, some people are born to be free.

·
Registered
21,629 Posts
First of all,if you never lose your cool with your kids and never snap,you probably aren't a good father.Kids need discipline and they need to understand where the line is.If you don't stop it now,it will get way worse.My father was tough on me to the point,I was afraid of crossing those lines.That fear eventually turned into respect and I've instilled that same fear into my kids at an early age.Well done.

Three things have kept me from turning homicidal over the past couple of years.The outdoors,my dog and to a lesser degree copenhagen.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey steel, I think you handled the situation well. You said what needed to be said, then removed yourself from the situation so things did not escalate.

Maybe next time you are home with kids all day, have your wife take them for a half hour so you can unwind a little before dinner. As dce alluded, the kids now know they crossed a line and hopefully they will think before doing it again.

Reactions: steelhead125

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I feel like no matter how we raise our kids the school system and society are still going to play a huge part in their life and decisions. My wife and I were watching jeopardy last night and said something about the one contestant that is obviously a guy but named amy. My 12 year old daughter says….they’re trans. They don’t have to be a boy or a girl that’s just what want to be. I guess I don’t really have a problem with it but she most definitely didn’t hear my wife or I say anything along those lines.

·
Registered
21,629 Posts
This is America and you can act and pretend anyway you want.However,regardless of what anyone teaches my kids in school.they'll always know that there's only two genders.At one time you could depend on the schools pitching in on discipline and teaching your kids important things like history and civics.That's no longer the case.When I was a kid,the parents backed the schools when it came to discipline and most of us were dead when we got home,if we got in trouble at school.Today,if a kid get's in trouble in school,there's a high probability that the parents will be at the school giving them a bunch of crap.That's a huge problem.My son is a a pretty hardcore baseball player.He works hard at it year round and sometimes his attitude get's in the way because he's so hard on himself.They pulled him up to start on varsity this past year as a 15 year old.He was doing well with both the way he played and the hussle and discipline he showed.One game he hit a fly ball to to left field about 2 miles in the air.He figured it would be caught so he dogged it to first base.I just looked at my wife and said,this is gonna be bad.The ball ended up burning the left fielder and dropped,just as he was standing on first base.The first base coach came unglued because he probably should have been on third base.They immediately pulled him,put a pinch runner in for him and benched his arse for the rest of the game.After the game,he made a smart comment to me about the coach and I told him he was lucky I wasn't the coach because I would have beat him like an unwanted step-child in front of everyone.He learned his lesson and never did it again.Actions have consequences and the sooner they learn,the better off they are.They road that kid hard all season and were way harder on him than any other kid.When I saw it was bothering him,I made sure he knew that they saw something in him and they were just trying to develop him.I told him to rub some vagisil on his butt and suck it up.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Steel I’ve been there. I was lucky enough to spend 5 months in 2011 on the Appalachian Trail after college. It wasn’t easy going back, especially with the economy the way it was back then. Still the show must go on unless you wanna live off-grid away from society or whatever may have ya.

The week after archery season is always one of the hardest of the year for me (especially with unfilled tags)… No more bow hunting, upcoming holiday stress, winter. Bow season hang over.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Reminds me of a story the maintenance man at our building would tell. He had what he described as a particularly pompous fellow in one of his buildings ask: "My good man, could you please see to it that the toilets flush with more enthusiasm?" Course he told it with mannerisms and embellishments and it was funny as heck. :LOL:
And I know exactly how to make a tankless toilet with a flushometer more “enthusiastic”. Just adjust the flow valve to use more water. Problem then is it’s too much water during the flushing action and now you have an unintended bidet function. I was told to do just that many years ago by an ignorant supervisor and his phone was ringing off the hook the next day. Went around to maybe 30 toilets and adjusted them back to where they were😁

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
I guess i'm lucky, i'm in the woods everyday. The woods have been trying to kill me the last few years, but i still enjoy going to work. Despite how many of you feel, i need a break from being in the woods now and then.

Like loridr, i think i get depressed when hunting season ends, and it really doesn't matter how successful iv'e been. Three years ago i shot three nice bucks that fall, but it didn't stop the funk i get when i'm done hunting for the year. Its a yearly thing and theres no escaping it. This year no buck and a painful miss on a whopper, might get real bad here pretty soon.....😥

As far as staying relativly happy day to day, we're all in charge of that ourselves. If somethings making your life less satisfying, change it. If, for whatever reason you can't change it, accept it for the time being and don't dwell on it. FWIW, many of the happiest people i know are also the bussiest people i know.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
PRDS. Post rut depression syndrome. I took a ride today at lunch on a gamelands I’m not familiar with, have always avoided it because the terrain tells me the wind is swirly squirrelly. But I walked maybe 200 yards and back. I was in my pajamas. Just needed it, no real purpose other than to manage exactly what you’re talking about.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts