The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the woods about 1 P.M. today with a list a mile long!!

Got the framework of a new stand up with the help of a 40FT. ladder and lots of helpers. I've wanted a permanent stand here for a few years and finally got around to doing it. Put the kids to work digging out a natural spring to make a nice little watering hole. The area is pretty devoid of water, so this should be a magnet.

After that we got to plowing under my once promising Brassica field. they were doing great until we hit a nasty dry stretch that turned them purple and wilting. this is the first year for this field so I'm kinda experimenting with what does well here. Spread some Lime after finishing up to get the Ph just a tad higher. it was right around 6.2 earlier in the spring. Maybe the Brassicas would have done better had it been higher?

Next up we did some clearing in a few spots. I like to open some trails up to kinda funnel deer where I want them. If I give them a trail they will use it!!

Also checked on a plot we planted 1 week ago with 7-Top Turnips, Purple Top Turnips, Dwarf Essex Rape and Pulsar Rape. Looks great after just one week
also checked my Ladino Clover plot, Its like a lush green carpet.

Finished up just before dark, everyone dirty and tired. Hopefully we'll get the new plot seeded next weekend with some Forage Oats

My Helpers

Last weeks planting

My Clover plot

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Looking good BONZ, great pics of the kids pitching in.

heading to the hill right now, but ALONE
, just dropped my oldest off for his week long scout trip to Maine and missing him already, really go to miss his help...my youngest is at a sleepover (miss him too), my daughter and wife are going to the Jonas Borthers concert in the Burgh today with a group....just leaves the Old Man and the Hill....hmmm that sounds like a book title. Think I'll take a lab.

Be Well today folks, time to go get my hands dirty. Winter wheat and turnips in the ground by dusk in time for the predicted rain.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a couple of new pics, I got perfect weather for germination and the turnips and Rape sprouted right up!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
wow, i planted my dwarf essex rape and purple top turnips about 1 1/2 weeks ago and they are not nearly that high. They get a ton of rain, but maybe they need some more fert.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Topdress the brassica with 46-0-0, that will help, but wait a week or so maybe?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Claybonz, don't ya just hate it when the deer trample the food you plant for them? LOL

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dutch said:
Claybonz, don't ya just hate it when the deer trample the food you plant for them? LOL
Not so much the deer, but I got a pesky, fat , groundhog who has made this plot his own
I'm tellin ya I can see where he waddles his fat butt around throught the plot!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts