The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has often been said that a turkey will not be called down hill or across water . I find this quite hard to believe . A small stream/creek is but a flap of the wings to cross and coming down hill to a percieved hen as well . What say you seasoned turkey hunters on calling in these situations ?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Certain obsticals I have noticed while calling them in they will not normally cross. I've had them stop and do nothing but, pace up and down a creek or drainage ditch. I have had them also get hung up along a rickity old farm fence that I otherwise see them walk through with ease. The downhill part I've never had a problem with.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have called them down hill and across water. I try not to set up that way, but some times you have no choice but to sit down right where you are and hope things work out.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have called them downhill,across small mountain runs, across dirt roads and even got one to cross a barbed wire fence between two different properties. If he is ready those obstacles will not stop him. It's nice to have a perfect setup but it does not always happen and you must play the cards you have been dealt!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have also called them down hill and across a ravine, they will come if they want too!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Have I yes but it's all about putting the odds in your favor.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Some one posted it earlier.
WHEN THEY ARE HOT THEY ARE HOT!!! You ALMOST can call one that feels THAT WAY out of a Cage!!LOL
Smage

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Have called them downlhill, been hung by more than one road. IMO if your setup is good, it is easier to work them down than up.

·
Super Moderator
13,714 Posts
I have better luck calling Spring gobblers up hill vs. down hill. This usually happens because I do more of my hunting and listing from ridges so I can hear the gobbler farther/clearer and I can move into position easier. I travel faster on level ground and down hill much better than up hill in the last few years.

I like to set up so when the gobbler tops the crest in view he is in range. All that is left is to size up the beard length and make a good head shot.

When a gobbler is heard on the down side of a hill I have time to set up decoys if I choose and to make a ruckus in the leafs making the gobbler believe there are turkeys at the top of the hill.

It works great when it is dry and I can hear the gobbler walking in the leafs as he approaches. That tells me how fast he is coming in, if there is more than one and pinpoints the location his head will appear giving me the advantage to have my gun pointed at that location and limiting the amount of final movement needed for the shot.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Wow when I think back over the past 33 some odd years of chasing them, I can say I have seen them come up, down, and around hills. Have seen them fly creeks, the most impresive was in Missouri. I had a bird fly from hill top to the hill top I was calling from. I could only guess it was 200-250 yds. That 2 year old died hard at about 25 yds.

If they are in the right mood and looking for love I think they will do just about anything.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I called 2 gobblers accross a major river last year in South Carolina. After trying to wade accross and finding it too deep, my friend and I set up shop and called our guts out. The flew accross, gobbled, and died.

The catch was...those birds roosted along that river bottom and flew back and forth every day...so they were accustom to it.

I've had birds run accross roads, jump ditches, duck under fences...but I've also had birds hang up at all of those too. It's all about what they are used to doing on a daily basis and what mood they are in that day.

With all of that said, I would do my best to put the odds in my favor and not have any barriers in the way if I could help it.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Got one to fly across the allegheny river from the old limestone plant at the mouth of the clarion river...he dang near landed on top of me an never got a shot off,but what a rush.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
This will be my 45 year chasing them bad boys, and I can tell you they can be called from up , down , over around ,across to your position if they are RIPE.

I called two across the Delaware river only to watch them perish when they hit the ground in front of us.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts