The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on june 22 a broke my shoulder in 4 places and had 13 screws and a plate put in to hold my together. so no archery hunting for me this year. Of course its my best college schedule ever hunting wise and after spending the last 4 years building up my spots and winds I can hunt where and when, I need to figure out a way to hunt this season. never even held a cross bow in my hands in the almost 2 decades ive been shooting a bow ( I sound old at 23 saying ive been doing something for almost twenty years!) I see recurve and compound ones. please school me on what I need minimum to whitetail hunt.
cant spend an arm ad a leg ( I can only use my one arm right now any way HA HA) I missed two months of work so far and go back to college in two week with no work in site. but if I can find out what I need and shop around im hoping to find something I can afford on craigslist or somewhere or borrow one from someone in my network of friends.
for your viewing pleasure here is my Xray

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
I will give the same advice that I give everyone. PM Arrowhead on here or better yet give him a call. He will be able to steer you in the right direction. Be very careful buying used especially being a rookie as there is a lot to check out on a crossbow. Also some bows you can no longer get parts or serice like the Horton's since they are out of business. Arrowhead sometimes has some used bows as well. He has them checked out and ready to hunt with.

That shoulder looks painful. OUCH!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Go to Cabelas, They will let you shoot their bows before you buy one, That way you will see how hard it is to reload and what feels best for you. You do not have to buy one there so then you can look for the best deal.

Good luck, Stan

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I feel your pain but thankfully not as much as what you must have. I had bicep tendon surgery on 7/12 so much in the same boat as far as not hunting with a conventional bow. I have talked to allot of knowledgeable people and you are going to need a cranking system and from what I have been told and tried myself already the TenPoint Accudraw is the best there is - takes the draw effort down to 6 lbs. Nothing else seems to come close. Check out theri lineup and hopefully they have one with that system that will fit your budget. Not knocking this site but check out the crossbow section over at archerytalk.com and you will find allot more info. Are you right handed and that is a right shoulder injury?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys ill look into all of this. yes im right handed and its my right shoulder. coulda been worse, was a dirtbike accident practicing for racing, had my neck brace on and such. was knocked out came to went back out again. don't remember much. I am not sure if I can ever bow hunt again, since I broke both sides of the joint im gonna loose most of my range of motion and if I can put my hand on top of my head when im healed I will have made out good. so yeah I did some life-altering damage on this one

·
Registered
301 Posts
Love this one and the guy who makes them is great to talk with.MADE IN USA The 130# is fast and and easier to set but you might look into a crank to set one with your nasty looking injury.
http://www.scorpyd.com/

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Trapper - what are your doctors saying about shooting off that shoulder - my therapist don't know much abut guns hunting or crossbows and my tear was at the elbow but they still don't want me shooting a gun for recoil and even are advising against the crossbow which I just don't see - I have shot a couple left handed and I feel nothing that would cause me concern with my injury but are you going to have to learn to shoot lefty?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
most likely gonna have to learn to shoot left. lucky me I don't have a dominate eye cause I scratched my right eye 7 years ago. so I may have a bit easier time then some learned lefty. gonna start practicing with a bb gun off my deck shortly and see how things go. if I have to skip this season that will really be a let down. may have to take my brother to my spots during peak rut and call for him I suppose.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Best of luck with your recovery - the non dominant eye surely will help you. I was talking with David of Wyverncreations.com and he was telling me that he has a customer shooting a TenPoint with the accudraw and the steady eddy monopod they make for it totally with one hand as he has no ability to use his right arm at all so does everything with his left and claims he has been very successful doing so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts