The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You would think after all these years I would know better. Hunting is not easy and it never has been......but there I was thinking to myself on Monday night that I finally got this turkey thing all figured out. Got a nice one mid morning that day and was kind of disappointed that my season was probably going to come to an end when I put my second tag on a longbeard next outing on Wednesday. What ?!?!
Seriously......what the heck was I thinking ?
Sure sometimes things seem to come easy but when all is said and done turkey hunting is tough. Sometimes I feel it may be harder than archery season. Anytime a hunter is able to take a nice gobbler it is a true accomplishment.
Anyhow, if I am fortunate enough to tag a second bird I will not take it for granted. The last few days have really brought me back down to earth and I am thankful for that.

·
Registered
790 Posts
That's funny, I was thinking almost the exact same thing. I got my first bird Monday morning and was pretty confident to have filled my second tag by now. I haven't even been in the game since that bird Monday morning. My biggest hurdle that I have run into is the areas that I am hunting have been having an unbelievable amount of pressure already. I have found out rather quickly that I was not the only person to be seeing these birds before the season started. I'll be happy to just hear a few gobbles tomorrow morning with the way the past two days have went.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same thing is starting to happen to me. I think with the lack of gobbling guys are searching harder now to find them. This morning I drove up the mountain thinking I would have it all to myself and ended up turning around because there was a truck parked there. Going to get up extra early tomorrow and hike back in.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Tagged out last year by Thursday.

Called my nephew one in on youth day.

Called my buddy one in on Monday.

Thinking man I am on fire......
Every outing since was terrible, and heard maybe 8 gobbles total.

The one I went to spot check a hollow where I have heard birds in the past. Pulled off the trail in the jeep. Got out. Called. One fires maybe 70 yards away. I scramble, grab my gun and vest, and set up in the woods.

Never got him to sound off again, and to boot never loaded my gun.

You can get humbled real quick sometimes. LOL

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I have a love hate relationship with turkey hunting. I enjoy going out and doing the scouting and listening, but when you are up and ready to hunt and can't seem to buy a gobble even off the roost it get old real real quick for me. I can never see myself buying a second tag. If I want to continue hunting I am sure I can find someone to shoot the gun, but having that "obligation" even if it is only in my mind, makes something fun, work to me.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I have struggled the last couple of years in Pa. to kill a bird and I guess I like to make things harder for myself. I hunt them with my bow just sitting against a tree and no decoy. The problem I have is I have no problem calling them in close in thicker woods and usually can get my bow drawn, but because of the thick cover I can't get an open shot. Any one hunting around Beaver County knows how thick and green it already has gotten. If I try to call them into an open field or pasture they hang up on the edge and are reluctant to step into the field when they see no hens. Combine that with three misses the last couple of years on birds that I should have killed have put me into a little bit of a slump.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Muppet said:
I have a love hate relationship with turkey hunting. I enjoy going out and doing the scouting and listening, but when you are up and ready to hunt and can't seem to buy a gobble even off the roost it get old real real quick for me. I can never see myself buying a second tag. If I want to continue hunting I am sure I can find someone to shoot the gun, but having that "obligation" even if it is only in my mind, makes something fun, work to me.
I kind of get where you are coming from. The last few days had me questioning my sanity. At the same time few things get my heart pounding like a fired up gobbler can.

·
Registered
20,916 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
The problem I have is I have no problem calling them in close in thicker woods and usually can get my bow drawn, but because of the thick cover I can't get an open shot. Any one hunting around Beaver County knows how thick and green it already has gotten.
Yep. Only the first week of the season and visibility around here is horrible. Hay fields are knee high in many areas.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I've been at this game for a while and fully realize good fortune can turn bad quickly. So far I'm 5 birds in 7 days hunting...2 KS, 2 MO, 1 NY. But that doesn't mean a thing...every day is a new one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.