The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've written before about my 2009 Bowtech Captain. I love that bow, and it had an unfortunate incident in the 2016 bow season that required it to be relimbed.

Bowtech handled it, even though it was 100% my fault. Not knowing how long I was going to be out a bow, though, I bought a 2016 Hoyt Defiant.

At the time, I felt it wasn't QUITE as quiet nor smooth as my Bowtech but was close.

Today I finally get around to rigging up the Bowtech. I moved the Ripcord that was on the Hoyt and had originally been on the Bowtech back to the Bowtech. Put an HHA sight on it that I got used from the classifieds here. New B-Stinger 8" stabilizer. Also decided my 2009 era Cobra release was due for an upgrade, and got a Spot Hogg Wiseguy. I put an HHA Virtus rest on the Hoyt. Side bar.....I like this rest a lot.

So....out to the back yard I go...both bows ready to start tuning and allen wrenches in my pocket.

Shot the Hoyt, this one was easy, because the rest was just adjusted to the same setting as my Ripcord had been. Sure enough, it was bang on.

Went to the Bowtech and shot it for the first time in 2 years and promptly realized my memory had fooled me.

Having shot both bows literally one after the other, I realized that the Hoyt is smoother, quieter, and faster. Significantly so.

But in mind, the Bowtech was the smoother, quieter bow, and the Hoyt was only marginally faster.

In reality, the Hoyt is noticeably smoother, quieter, has less vibration, and is faster.

Funny how that works.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far, my Defiant has killed two bucks (one in each season I've hunted with it), and I'm liking it a lot going into the third season!

Come November, I always grumble that I didn't spring for the carbon riser, but other than that, I have no regrets at all on the Hoyt!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
After shooting a High Country bow for close to 15yrs with not much success ( 3 Bucks ) and a few blood trails lost. I purchased my Hoyt back in 2015 and have harvested a nice buck every year since I got it. What a difference having a compound that you like to shoot and have the confidence in when it comes down to that one all important shot come November. The very best of luck to you again this season.....

·
Registered
13,154 Posts
I had a pse vendetta xl that i loved. 10 bucks, 3 bears, some turkeys, and my first bow killed coyote in the 5 years i hunted with it. I shot it indoors with my hunting sight, rest, stabilizer, and arrows, usually between 575 and 580. Dry fired it about midway thru the '16 season, bent cams, cracked a limb, ect, so i decided to get a new bow last summer.

Got a bowtech bt mag cus the draw was so smooth. Only deer i shot at was about 3 yds so it didn't get much of a test on deer. But i shot it indoors last winter with all my hunting stuff, just like my pse. But my average was up 5 points with this bow, no other changes. That might not seem like much, but my average was always the same in the 5 years i shot the pse, this bow raised it instanty.

Btw, after i blew up the pse, i hunted with another pse i used to use, called a dakota, which i got in '04. I could hardly draw it now and it sounded like a car door slamming when i shot it. Wonder how i ever got anything with that bow, but i averaged 2 bucks a year with it too, and it thought it was great at the time.

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
Last year I bought into the Elite hype and bought an impulse.I tried hard to like it but I hated the hump at the end of the draw cycle and way it balanced with a quiver on.I killed a doe with it on the first day and then sold it to my buddy and went back to my old carbon spyder.No reason to fix something that isn't broken.

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
C'mon Man ! Didn't "The Fonz" teach you anything ? You weren't WRONG. You were wr.....wr........wr.......... :smile_big:
Henry Winkler should have gotten an emmy for pulling off the tough guy routine as Fonzy because he was a complete pansy in real life.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
So far, my Defiant has killed two bucks (one in each season I've hunted with it), and I'm liking it a lot going into the third season!

Come November, I always grumble that I didn't spring for the carbon riser, but other than that, I have no regrets at all on the Hoyt!
...Have a DEFIANT also...my last bow was a '07 VECTRIX and passed that to my son last season. What a difference in technology over 10 years..

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, for sure.

I had the Hoyt out tonight. 3 shots at each...20, 30, and 40. One field point and 2 broadheads. All hitting to point of aim to 40.

9 shots.

Last two from 40 were within 3" of each other, both with Muzzy's, and both on target.

Put the bow away. Next time I pick it up will be 0-dark-30 on Saturday morning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts