The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it legal to take fish from a stream that is stocked and put them into another stream that is stocked (the section of this creek doesn't have any fish in it because it is surrounded by a posted property)?

Or would you have to purchase trout to put in there yourself?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I think as long as you only keep your daily limit you are ok but I wouldn't quote that to anyone.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I asked this question to my local WCO last year, he said it was ok to move them to other streams, even if they were not approved trout waters.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
bucksbeware said:
I asked this question to my local WCO last year, he said it was ok to move them to other streams, even if they were not approved trout waters.
That is what I was told, but years back, so long as I was only moving my daily limit per day.

·
Banned
2,336 Posts
I was told that if you caught the trout in a legal manner and were within the limits you could do whatever you want with it.

I was contemplating doing the same thing, do you plan on just keeping them in a bucket while transferring them?

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Henry David said:
I was told that if you caught the trout in a legal manner and were within the limits you could do whatever you want with it.

I was contemplating doing the same thing, do you plan on just keeping them in a bucket while transferring them?
we always used the cloth bags to keep them alive in the stream. then someone would run to the truck and get the rubbermaid tote, fill it half way and put the trout in. hardest part was now carrying the heavy tote back to the truck. never lost one of the hundreds we transported.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
We used to do this when we were younger, would get a bunch of guys togheter and catch a bunch and transport them to other places that never got stocked. We would rotate guys fishing and transporters out so it was fun for everyone. It was alot of work but worth it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Not my place to judge. But ever heard of gateway drugs? Drugs not so bad, but introducing the culture and then Katie bar the door to worse things?

A story on a different forum in Washington State. Rumor was that guys were transporting Northern Pike into a reservoir on the Pend 0'reil River. The pike took over and a pike fishing industry was born at the expense of Smallmouth and other fish in the food chain, complete with people making livings as Pike fishing guides, National prominence as a Pike Fishery, etc.

Eventually, the pike kept expanding though, to the point they threatened Salmon waters. In Washington, I think the lesson is don't threaten the river run Salmon. The Dept of Natural Resources and a local Indian Reservation got Pike declared an invasive species and shocked them out.

Big controversy. Businesses folded. Everybody PO'd.

Self transport, seems harmless, but is kind of a gateway behavior, IMO, just something to think about.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
To be honest, the movement of trout, 5 at a time from one stream to another, multiple times just to create a small pod of fish just isn't economical. You're probably better off just contacting a local fish hatchery and buying a couple dozen, or however many you want. That way you make one trip there, pick up all the fish at once, and one trip to the stream. The money saved in back and forth driving with 5 fish a day would offset the cost of just buying them outright. JMO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts