The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting my first 4 wheeler to haul deer out and use for trapping. But here's my question I really don't want to haul a trailer all around with the atv on it. I want to put it on the bed of my F150 with a 6 ft bed, with a topper on it, it's one of those toppers that goes up in the back. Does anyone have experience with this type of setup to haul your 4 wheelers around.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I have a similar cap with an 8 ft bed, but, my Polaris is too high to fit under the cap. I would think it would be difficult with any atv to drive up ramps onto the bed, while sitting on the atv. I do it with my lawn tractor and it's not the best, safety wise.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
your gonna end up with a busted nose. take the cap off or get a little trailer. no sense in getting hurt.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Don't haul it with the camp on...

I haul my quads in a 6 foot bed as well, but no cap. 2 ratchet straps to hold it securely, put that thing in gear, lock up the parking brake, etc.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I haul mine in a snowmobile trailer.
If youre going to do it in your truck with a cap on...one, make sure it will fit, and two, be very careful when loading and unloading....dont be in a hurry and build yourself a level off loading ramp both at home and at camp. That way you wont have to use portable ramps increasing your chance for injury hauling it in you truck bed with the cap on.

·
Registered
20,213 Posts
I have hauled them in the bed of the pick-up but you can pick up a new trailer from depot for around 500.00 or buy one used.
Even with the truck you will end up either making or buying a set of ramps.
Picking up a 400CC and bigger to slide into a truck gets old fast if you don't have help.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have a rack that fits in my reciever hitch and folding ramps that are aluminum from The big hunters wal-mart(cabelas). I use it ALOT all year long and I think it is the cats PJ'S!! The ramps are light and stay put even on unlevel or slippery ground. The rack can be adjusted up or down so you don't have a steep ramp angle. The ramps also give great traction when the tires are full of mud or snow. I ALWAYS back my wheeler up the ramps....You have much more control if things aren't working out and you need to pull down and realign. Also since you have a hi top your back rack will probably clear the top and the handlebars will be over the tailgate eliminating clearance issues.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to drive the quad up under the topper with you on it and pushing it up ramps by hand will get old not to mention you'll bust a gut doing it.
BTW.. did you measure up your clearances?

Either find a nice trailer if you leave the cap on.
or
Take the cap off for the season and get a set of ramps.
We picked up a good set of heavy duty ramps at Harbor Freight for around 50.00 +- last year.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Featherduster said:
I have a rack that fits in my reciever hitch and folding ramps that are aluminum from The big hunters wal-mart(cabelas). I use it ALOT all year long and I think it is the cats PJ'S!! The ramps are light and stay put even on unlevel or slippery ground. The rack can be adjusted up or down so you don't have a steep ramp angle. The ramps also give great traction when the tires are full of mud or snow. I ALWAYS back my wheeler up the ramps....You have much more control if things aren't working out and you need to pull down and realign. Also since you have a hi top your back rack will probably clear the top and the handlebars will be over the tailgate eliminating clearance issues.
Is that rack like a big version of a deer hauler?
If so , I seen those before and wondered if they gave enough ground clearance or if the rear corners liked to scrap the ground alot?

If you load the quad into a truck with a topper make sure the suspension is compressed enough. A friend used to load his 3 wheeler like that and there was not alot of extra room between the handlebars and topper roof and while going over a set of railroad tracks once it bounced a little too much and poked a hole up threw the roof.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It is rectangular like a deer hauler but has no mesh bottom. It has brackets for the ramps to fit into to position the ramps. The height of the rack is adjustable but it is up near the tailgate which you leave lay down. No the corners do not ever scrape it is much too high for that. The tires are ratchet strapped right to the rack and I tie the end of my quad in the truck down to the bed to keep it from bouncing.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I just bought a new atv. Believe me when I tell you, when you put that $7-8K unit behind you, you really want to go the little more and get a good trailer. First, it is easier to get in on and off with one where the back gate is your ramp. I've used ramps and loaded plenty of atv's and lawn tractors in my pickup over the years. The trailer is the way to go. 2nd, If you have all your hunting clothing in the back of the truck, you won't want a gas engine back there as well. 3rd. you can get locking straps and a hitch lock to keep the atv on the trailer when not in use.

·
Registered
485 Posts
according to the stats more quad accidents happen loading and unloading then any other single cause. the high/steeper the ramps the further you fall and the harder the bump. watch at a atv area a watch. a trailer, lower the better and solidly attached ramps are the safest.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I was told by one of the ranger fellas while I was unloading my quad one day at the public use ramps that I needed to have a helmet on when unloading. it makes sense. I have seen two quads come off of trucks allready while loading both times with the homemade type wood ramps you buy the tops too. both times in wet conditions. rubber and wood doesn't get much traction.

I haul my quad around in a small flat bed trailer I built the thread is somewhere in here. and I also have my 6x12 enclosed I use for camping.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I can be an example of what happens when you try to run up wet wooden ramps. I had my 700 sportsman slide of our ramps one day and it scared me to death. I now use metal ramps with grips.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I only use aluminum ramps now but.... when I used wood years ago I screwed down mesh used for holding stucco to walls on top of my ramps. Plenty of traction then even with tires full of mud and snow. Like you guys I found out the hard way except I slid my truck off while loading it into my enclosed trailer. It ended up wedged in the doorway 1/2 in and 1/2 out.. I had a heck of a mess

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I take my tonneau cover off in deer season and put my wheeler in the back of my SuperCrew F150. The bed is less than 6ft I just have to leave the tailgate down thats all. I also have a hitch-haul that I put my deer in once I get back to the truck. That way I don't have blood dripping all over the side of the truck and 4whlr.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I have a converted EZ-GO electric golf cart. I have a trailer to pull around.....but on those snowy days when salt and frozen "gack" is being throw up on the tie downs.....and the tie downs freeze. So, I have a set of those aluminum ramps from the Big "C".

But the idea of driving the buggy up on the truck bed is scary at best. So, I had a long angle piece made with a "D" ring in the middle and had this installed in the front of my truck bed.

My cart has a winch on the front of it. So, I just winch the cart on and off the truck bed. (I have a 9' wired remote for the winch) It's a nice slow process...no torque on the wheels, so no torque on the ramps. Much less chance of the cart falling off the ramp. And if it does....I'm not gonna be on it.

Dave

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I don't have an ATV but I did keep the old tilting snowmobile trailer dad had to move garden tractors he was repairing. I last used it to move a new fridge to the cabin w/ a fridge dolly.

With the tilt you can drive on and it closes. You can push a tractor on by hand until it closes.

I replaced the rotten plywood w/ treated deck boards.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
bigben said:
I was told by one of the ranger fellas while I was unloading my quad one day at the public use ramps that I needed to have a helmet on when unloading. it makes sense. I have seen two quads come off of trucks allready while loading both times with the homemade type wood ramps you buy the tops too. both times in wet conditions. rubber and wood doesn't get much traction.

I haul my quad around in a small flat bed trailer I built the thread is somewhere in here. and I also have my 6x12 enclosed I use for camping.
Hey bigben , did you modify your interior of you 6x12 for camping ? I'm trying to get some ideas for my 7x16 for camping . Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts