The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever ride the Hatfield-McCoy trail system in WV? PaBirdman,his wife, myself, my wife and another couple are heading down there towards the end of July. We are renting a cabin in the town of Gilbert.The girls got excited when they saw pic's of wheelers going through the McDonalds drive thru!Us boys can't wait to park the machines in front of a good ole country bar! I just hope there's some of them down there!

Any tips or info. any of you have would be great!Maybe even some pic's to get us pumped even more! Can't wait for the trip!!!!!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
It's almost like a different world. ATVs can go pretty much anywhere.

As far as the trails go: The difficulty range is full spectrum. Nice, easy, scenic trails that resemble a golf cart path to some of the most rugged and technical terrain I have seen in my 20 years of riding and racing. I ride a sport quad and some of the trails were almost impossible on my quad. 4wd was desperately needed. I had a ball down there. You will too. Take lots of pictures and post up when you get back. And above all, be safe.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Bobby, that might be what got you excited about going down there for, but I'm ready for the riding!
Those double black diamond trails are calling my name.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips guys!

Mikey,I'm just looking forward to parking my wheeler in front of some "hick" bar and having a few cold ones after hours of good riding!
Can't do that too many places around here!As far as the double blacks....lead the way buddy!I'm sure the arms will be burning after that!

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
My hunting buddy just got back from there a couple weeks ago, he was there when WV got all that rain and they got trapped at the cabin with firemne coming in at 5 am and rousting them up they had one way out and when they got to a point they had run into a landslide that closed the road off. They were stuck until the state came in and cleared out the mudslide,, He was kinda scared In WV you can ride on any road that doesnt have a centerline....I think he would probably go back sometime, there is also a place near Harrisburg for ATV riding, had some buddies go up there, they liked it...

·
Registered
849 Posts
the town of Gilbert is the place to be. great people. I guess some of the small restaurants closed so it may just be mcdonalds and thats it. to bad we had some good food there at a reasonable price. just make sure you can get your quad off the mountian your self if it breaks down. my buddy got a $200 tow bill to get his off the mountain. and then spent the next day and a half out of commission so make sure everything on your quad is good to go. when in doubt in any parts replace it. clean your air filter daily. riding a whole day on those trails will put your quad through the test.

mountain breeze motel in Gilbert

I am going back in late summer. You excited yet? Also get a camelback!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Very excited, been going over the machines good, and stocking up on extra filters and oil, air filter cleaner and oil, working on getting all of my tools ready so if something breaks I have a way to fix it. Hopefully with all of the riding I have planned between now and then nothing major springs up. Replaced front brake pads on the one machine today, still need to pull the recoil start apart as it wasn't recoiling right last time I tested it. We'll be taking an extra machine along in case one breaks down and can't be fixed, tow ropes, and of course our camelbacks

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've already been excited but you just helped elevate that another couple of levels!!!!! That is one nasty look'n mud hole! You up for that Mikey?!?!?

That's a bummer about the restaurants. I don't want to eat Mickey D's the whole dang trip! Is there a grocery store near by?

$200.00 to get his wheeler towed back.....Wow!!!We will be fully prepared like Mike mentioned and we'll have atleastv one extra wheeler if not two.Is there an atv shop near the town? I want to start mapping that stuff out just incase we need it. When exactly are you heading down there Deerchaser?

·
Registered
849 Posts
You will find many mudholes on those trails. My buddy just went down in May and said the 2 restaurants we ate at last June were closed. Maybe someone reopened them for the main riding season. They went to the grocery store in town to buy food, which you can ride your quad to. You also have the gas station that does breakfast sandwiches and hoagies. We usually rode to Mann for lunch on the quads, they have Hardees, Wendies and I believe one other restaurant.

Don't have a map in front of me but my buddy lost a front wheel bearing on one of the worst places on the trails and a fullsize truck had to come tow him off the mountain. It took over 8 hours to be rescued. The guy driving the truck said he was never going to do this again. For the life of us we couldn't tow his quad out with ours no matter what we tried. What you really need is a small trailer (4X8) incase you need to tow something out. While this place has a great rescue response for people, your ATV is another story. We suggested when you purchase your sticker you have an option to purchase vehicle recovery for an additional $3 or something like that. They thought it was a good idea but don't know how serious they took it. The motel we stayed at the owner owned the motel and the quad shop down the street and is actively involved on the board for the trail system.

There is a place in Gilbert that is currently building up there inventory on parts. He hopes to have a million dollar inventory of the most common stuff. But no one had a front wheel bearing for an Artic Cat, not even the dealer he went to. The shop even has quads to rent, pricy but you can rent one and not ruin your whole trip.

Not sure when I am going will depend on getting a place to stay down there. It gets booked up during the summer. But probably looking sometime in August.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I just came back from Gilbert, WV. Had a good time. Stayed in Gilbert parked the truck, and didnt need it for a week. It was cool. We rode the trails from Gilbert to Man. One note of caution, my group had new riders, and riders that were up there in age. Some of the terrain was a little above the comfort zone for beginers, and we were on the green trails only. The grade on a few hills were extreme, with a long drop over the edge. Keep young riders close. Anyway, we had a blast. The town welcomes you with open arms. Nothing like riding to Rite Aid on your quad, buying 3 cases of beer, putting it on your bike then driving through the drive through at Micky D's on your way back to your room, with the police waving to you as you pass them on the town streets. Very cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts