The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many guys have been to the Hatfield trails? What did you think? What trailheads did you ride and where did you stay? I just returned from my first trip with a group of 6 friends. We stayed in Gilbert and rode Rockhouse on the first day and Bearwallow on the second day. The weather was perfect...rain all night into the mornings and dry all day. Made the trails nice and muddy. We didn't see a trace of dust all weekend. We rode 100 miles in two days. We would have done more but had a breakdown mid day on day one. A Honda Rincon broke a tie rod. I'd say as a group, we enjoyed Bearwallow more. We rode mostly blue and black trails. The green trails are just a little too easy. Bearwallow's blues had a nice mix of higher speed sections and steep hills. Also more of a trail ride than a dirt road ride. I think everyone of us can't wait to go back. We are talking about doing Pinnicle Creek and Indian Ridge next time. I had a blast.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I love it down there. I was there a couple of weeks ago and stayed at the Twin Hollow camp ground right out of Gilbert. Stayed in a cabin, very nice. We got there late on Friday and left Monday morning. I put on 186 miles. One thing I didn't like there was only one trail leading to the main trails from Gilbert because of mining. I have been trying to get some pics up of my trip but keep forgetting about it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Been down there atleast a dozen times. We have rode every system EXCEPT Indian Ridge. I like Bearwallow better than Rockhouse. Rockhouse seems to get beat up due to more traffic on that system. Really like climbing up Blue 16 at BW.
Pinnacle Creek is definetly an easier system compared to the 2 you rode. I do like that system though, because pretty much no matter where you are in the system you can call it day and have a quick and easy way back to the trailhead.
Little Coal is very easy and more for beginners, not much pucker factor. Buffalo Mtn. is a nice and you have 2 different towns you can get food and gas. Matewan & Williamson. You can ride to Delbarton also, believe you can get gas there, but the only food place I knew of closed up.
If I had to rate them, BW, PC, BM, RH, LC in that order. Nice thing is they are open 365, heck we were down there for New Years.

If anyone is planing a trip down there and has any questioned about where to stay or eat, pm me. See if I can help you out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts