The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This buck was on our not to shoot list because there were several others in the area that we were looking for. I also wanted to see what he could grow into in another year. My hopes were high on him surviving because he had lost his one antler before rifle season began. What a shame. The last pic I have of him, I have a pic of two coyotes one hour later. I'm sure he's an easy meal for them. However, he has been in this condition for last two weeks and can't believe he's made it this long.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
What do you think happened to him to put him in such a bad condition? I think i would go in a personal campaign to hammer them yotes and as someone said put out some nutrients for this guy.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Dont give up on him yet. This guy was crushed by a car in front of my old house. Broken leg and what appeared to be his hip. Vanished for awhileand after two years, I ended up harvesting him about 1/2 mile away. Didnt even realize it was him until then. He always had a huge lump on his rear leg.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is private land. I believed he had been shot, but it is possible he was hit by car. Back left leg is completely useless. Never thought of alfalfa bales. I'll try it.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
that buck looks in bad shape. looks like his left back leg might be hurt. maybe hit buy a car or got shot with an arrow. I have read that a if a buck is injured he will drop his antler from stress. it is a coincidence that his left leg looks injured and his right antler has dropped. which is common when bucks grow antlers. antler side opposite from the injured side of the deer will grow abnormal. that buck has lost too much weight and will not be able to fight off the coytes. sorry buddy!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thats terrible man....sorry....Doesn't this kind of look like Chronic Wasting Disease? It could be he worked to hard during in the rut or old age also...but that's crazy how far from grace that buck has fallen...I'd give him another week or so, but if it was my property I would call the game commission and have them put that guy down, or I'd do it myself...hes suffering!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
That deer isn't going to make the winter. Look how thin he is already. Save your time and money and forget about it. I lost a buck that scored 148" the same way a few years ago. Dropped his antlers in December and was dead by middle of January.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rt44, good eye. I went back through the pics in that photo sequence and it does appear as tho his jaw is injured. He picks up a turnip, but can only hold it in his front teeth. Next pic, turnip is lying on ground. Don't think he can open jaw. Just a shame.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
RobertG said:
Dont give up on him yet. This guy was crushed by a car in front of my old house. Broken leg and what appeared to be his hip. Vanished for awhileand after two years, I ended up harvesting him about 1/2 mile away. Didnt even realize it was him until then. He always had a huge lump on his rear leg.

He looks fine except his front legs look a little stumpy, lol! PS Love the hillbilly General lee pickup in the background!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts