The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the dog for a two hour run on Saturday. She was kinda limping that afternoon. Just took a little walk on Sunday and gave her some asprin before bed. This moring, she couldn't stand up. I carried her to vets right away and at the end of the visit, she is running around like a normal Brittany. Vet took blood for tests but didn't give any definite answer for what was wrong. If this has happened to you, I would appreciate some sage advice.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It sounds to me like a slipped disk that popped back into place, or a pinched nerve...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet mentioned that. Did your dog have that and how did you treat it? I was really scared when she couldn't get up. That is the worst feeling.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
We actually had a couple with disk issues. One was in the neck. He was treated with steroids and Deramax. He was ok after a few months of rest but can't be lead around by a neck collar any more. The other was jumping on the bed and fell back, she ruptured 2 disks and pinched a nerve badly. She was actually paralyzed from the ribs back. Still had control of bodily functions, so we opted to try and get it fixed. Treated with Steroids and Deramax, but didn't get better until one day on a pee break she was pulling away from me with a towel around her flank. Must have stretched her spine enough to un pinch the nerve. back on her feet in 2 days. Normal within a week. I would check with a chiropractor. It was horrible and we were a day away from buying one of the carts, you see for dogs with spinal problems...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So glad you had good outcomes with your dogs.

The pup laid outside today and then she was bouncing around like normal at dinner time. Can't figure it out.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I had a dog slip a disk this winter, treated with prednisone. I was only days away from something but it wasn't buying a wheelchair for her. Luckily for her she came out of it and is now running well again.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Have a long term issue with my dog - started with an attempted flying puppy - he didn't land like he thought he would. Gimps up after a good run. Previcox helps, as does the chiro. Seems to be at the spine/hip junction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts