The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got my first shipment of these. They don't use a rail like most crossbows. They use a nock and rest like a compound bow. There is an audible click when the arrow is seated. Only 6 inches axle to axle when cocked. 7.28 lbs ready to hunt. Great trigger. It uses a cocking winch and can be cocked and uncocked using the winch. The cam design allows for 320° rotation. Lots of technology and very well thought out design. Retail price is $1499

Attachments

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
Not a huge fan of the proprietary nock and the rail less design potentially opens up tuning issues. Other than those, lots of innovation going on with the Ravin. At $1500, it will certainly be a niche crossbow and not for the masses.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sure is a pleasure to carry though. For that, I can give up custom arrows and be happy to sort through a few. ( I have a feeling they will be forced to make the parts available to make custom arrows or be happy with lackluster sales) Everyone likes to tinker with arrows to find what works best for thier own style. The arrow rest is easy to tune and I don't see any big issues there other than periodic maintenance.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
( I have a feeling they will be forced to make the parts available to make custom arrows or be happy with lackluster sales)
Yep. The $1500 price and the need for proprietary arrows will limit volume.

·
Registered
525 Posts
While I find it rather intriguing I will echo Dpms--I DO NOT like the idea of a proprietary nock. Also the rest out front-I am kind of wondering about tuning issues. For me I currently like as little to go wrong as possible. I will also agree with the price. Some of the flag ship vertical, and crossbows are at a point many I speak with quickly shy away from bows in general in this price range due to cost. They simply cannot afford, or other obligations in their life prevents them from spending this kind of money.
I'll stick with my trusty Excalibur,, and wait to hear some feed back on the Ravin R9 as it enters into the market, and guys start to shoot it. I fully admit that the width, and the way the string rotates on the cams to give it-it's power stroke is pretty cool. I just can't get past the nock, and rest issue out front just yet. I'll be waiting to hear some feed back on this beast. Most definitely a niche bow at this point.

·
Registered
877 Posts
See, i'm happy with my Storm RDX. It's compact enough, well balanced, and plenty of speed and power.... And although it also runs $1500 with the accu-draw, I bought mine for $1000 without the accu-draw - new.
Now my wife on the other hand, is very interested in the R9. But I want her to test fire one before actually thinking of buying one. So we shall see.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
At the present time I can not see these crossbows being sold or imported into Canada.
I have had quotes of $1500.00 to $1550.00 US for the crossbow, $249.00 to $279.00
US for the crossbow press and approximately $90.00 shipping US. Add import fees,
then the killer of 36 cents to 39 cents on the dollar for the present currency exchange rate.
I have been following several archery forums where members have done lots of testing
on these crossbows and have found a few weak points, but over all, given a bit of time
these corrections will be made.
I would like to own one of these to put up against my Barnett Ghost 410 to compare accuracy.
I have the Barnett set up in a gun rest, using various levels so as not to have any torque or
canting. Set up this way, one just gently squeezes the trigger and does not in any way move
the crossbow by breathing, wearing different clothing thickness etc.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
my local pro shop ordered one to test. I looks interesting on videos, but we will see how it shoots in real life. Truth be told, something will need to be really special for me to hang up my Parker Hurricane. PS my back up bow is excal exocet 200. Another special bow.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i am just as happy with my deadly accurate deer killing $600.00 parker safari magnum i bought years ago :)

sticking to the OP subject i saw one of these at field and stream, the scope has increments out to 100 yards. IMO thats not realistic, i really dont believe this bow will have the required kinetic energy at that distance to kill a deer.

other than that, the price and proprietary stuff, it looks nice :) to many things , to much technology, just something else to go wrong in the field.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
It is interesting looking for sure but I have trouble paying that amount for something that in just a few years will be worth pennies on the dollar when I could have a couple rifles for the same money that may actually increase in value?

·
Registered
561 Posts
ridiculous how much a new cross bows cost .... could buy two high powered rifles for that much

Not just crossbows but verticals as well. Read an article in Field & Stream today while at the tire store getting tire patched. Said that the high price on bows now is resulting in archers not buying the latest and greatest every year or two like in the past. This in turn is causing the local bow shops to close doors due to lack of sales plus cost of carrying inventory. That leads to just the big box stores (Cabela, Bass Pro, Gander, etc) which may not be local to your area.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Funny I feel the opposite is true.They think hunters are a gold mine.If you pay they will play.
If hunters don't buy prices will fall.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Not just crossbows but verticals as well. Read an article in Field & Stream today while at the tire store getting tire patched. Said that the high price on bows now is resulting in archers not buying the latest and greatest every year or two like in the past. This in turn is causing the local bow shops to close doors due to lack of sales plus cost of carrying inventory. That leads to just the big box stores (Cabela, Bass Pro, Gander, etc) which may not be local to your area.
i think a good bow shop would stock a few of the HIGH dollar items and a ton of the average priced stuff. there isnt anything a 1,500 dollar bow can do that a 400 dollar bow cant do, except cause you to be late on the rent, mortgage, car or alimony payments :)

especially after the wife finds out how much you spent on that bow to kill a deer when you could have just about taken her on a 4 day cruise :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
You can find the Field and Stream article here --> The Cost of Compound Bows, Local Bow Shops | Field & Stream
I agree. My kids are raised, and out on their own with families of their own. One of my son-in-laws complains all the time about archery tackle costs. Let's face it--when your raising kids, mortgage/rent payments, vehicle payments, insurance, utility bills, groceries, and all the other things that become TRUE financial responsibilities for many there is very little left over to spend on things like a $1500-$2000 fully tricked out bow, or crossbow, and for that matter new rifles, etc..
Many will say that it's all a matter of priorities--while this may be true--for many they simply do not have the expendable cash laying around to just simply say--"Hey hun--I'm going to the bow shop to get a new bow, arrows, accessories--it's only gonna cost two grand--I'll be back in a while."
I have been lucky enough to enjoy the sport, and keep things under control. My last purchase was a Excalibur Matrix 380 package. It took alot of soul searching--I could afford it, but letting go of the cash was a little hard.
My last vertical bow was a Mathews Z7E--I still use it too. Both cost me a small fortune, especially my Z7 tricked out.
NOT everyone can just throw money down on a regular basis on the latest flagship bows as they enter the market place.
As with the new R9 Ravin--it's a flagship crossbow. It is not cheap, and while there will be those who can afford it, and rush out, and buy one--there will be a far greater number of folks who may want one, and can't buy one, and for guys like me I could go out, and get one, but am absolutely happy with what I have now.
I see, and speak with a great number of folks who flat out refuse to spend $1000 on a bow--be it a crossbow, or vertical bow. Both because they cannot afford to, and others who feel that the equipment is over priced, and over rated.
Only time will tell, but I personally believe we are quite possibly nearing a tipping point. When I see a crossbow such as the high end Ten-Point crossbow packages listed at just over $2000 I simply cannot see many of those going out the door on a regular basis at ANY shop.
Where we are headed in the industry--I'm not sure. All I can say is hold on, and see where the ride takes us.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The worst rub is they depreciate so quickly. My last vertical was a Bowtech Independence I bought in 2005. Cost me $799 bare bow. Then a few years later I bent the cam when a knock exploded while practicing resulting in basically a dry fire. Sent the bow to Bowtech for repair and because they did not carry a replacement cam (and they had gone to 2 cam from solo) ended up with all brand new bow other than the original riser. Shot about 50 arrows through it when I got it back and just didn't like the feel anymore. Also hurt my shoulder the following summer and even dialed down to 60 needed to move to a crossbow. So I have in all reality I have a brand new bow in a case with over a $1000 in it and I would be lucky to get $300 for everything IF I could find a buyer.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Newport-Bill:
I feel your pain brother. Bows depreciate so badly that a couple years after buying them you pretty much end up giving them away.
Years back before my Mathews I had a Hoyt Stryker Red Line. Shot that bow for years--killed a pile of deer with it, and even spent the money to get one with updated cam, and upper wheel. Tricked it out, and loved that bow. I still have it. Every time I look at it I realize that with all of the money I spent on it in years past I could probably only get enough money for it that equals what scrap price for the aluminum riser is going for per pound. It's truly sad how fast the value drops off. Heck my Mathews Z7E is probably not even worth anything. I always held onto bows for many years, and never upgraded. The only reason I got the Mathews was through one heck of a deal with my Son-In-Law. My crossbow was all on me for cost. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon--too much money for what I see as WWAAYY over rated equipment. My money comes hard, and I will be darned if I'm letting go of it easy on over rated, and over priced bows, and crossbows.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts