The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
If a person gets too close to a goshawk's nest while they are nesting it isn't at all uncommon to have the goshawk swoop down at them. The person usually thinks the hawk is attacking but it really isn't likely to hit you. No need to panic just move out of its threat zone.

Goshawks nest in the big woods areas but aren't a real common species. They prey on a lot of chipmunks, red and gray squirrels, some birds including an occasional grouse

Last year while gobbler hunting a was watching two hens and two long beards about a hundred yards from me when suddenly the turkeys all got real excited, gobbling and fighting purrs, when I saw a large hawk swooping down over top of them. After it had made several swooping passes over the turkeys I was able to figure out it was a goshawk. After about the a sixth or seventh pass the turkeys decided to head up over the hill.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
When I was in college, I was out hunting squirrels not turkeys. I didn't get "attacked" but I got hit with a redtailed hawk. This was back before there was mandatory fluorescent orange.
I was in all camo clothes and was sitting on a downed log and up against the big oak that it had fallen against. While I'm sitting there for a while, I noticed a chipmunk in the leaves at my feet. He's working around for nuts and soon is right between my boot tips. I'm totally engrossed in watching it and not paying attention to much else when "wham." Something slams up against my legs. Startled the heck out of me. I gathered myself a bit to see a redtailed hawk crane it's neck around to look at me. It must have seen/sensed my movement. Evidently it had spotted the chipmunk in the leaves and swooped down after it for a meal and didn't see me since I was in all camo.

As soon as it realized what I was, it immediately flew off, without the chipmunk. So definitely not an attack, but I did get hit with a hawk. I laugh about it now, but certainly wasn't expecting it when it happened.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
No but my Dad's deke was last week! lol

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
I got attacked by a Barred Owl last week. Came across a baby and snagged a couple picks then WHAM!

You cant hear an owl coming at all.

·
Super Moderator
12,798 Posts
The first time I used an owl call in an attempt to located spring gobblers. I alerted and brought in two owls to land just above my head in the small evergreen tree I was standing under. Well if there is ever an owl season????

·
Super Moderator
12,798 Posts
I have been foxes and coyote's come running into my calls two of the foxes come close to running over me.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I've been attacked by nesting goshawks several times. In addition to swooping at you, they make a heck of a racket until you leave the area.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Had a bobcat come sneaking in on me once while turkey hunting in Kansas and several coyotes come charging in over the years. The only thing that ever drew blood that I can remember are mosquitoes.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I had a deer chase me around a tree while grouse hunting with an uncle when I was about 14. My uncle thought this was very funny. Also had a chipmunk get in my face and make a scene because I inadvertently was sitting on its house.

·
Super Moderator
12,798 Posts
Once I was laying prone working a gobbler when suddenly a dog chased a deer directly at me. I kept focus on the gobbler as the deer passed within a couple of feet from my ankle. I did not get the gobbler.

Twice I had to move my leg to keep squirrels from running up my pant leg.

Also I had a Robbin attempt to land on my hunting hat. Next to my ear it sounded more like an eagle then a small bird.

I have had limbs fall out tree and brush me as I sat on the ground helplessly.

Another time I sat under a tree as a lighting storm approached when the rain got very heavy I ran to a
cliff for shelter. After the rain stopped I passed back by the tree I previously sat to see it had been struck by lighting and a large section was split from the tree trunk and was stuck deeply in the ground.

While gobbler hunting in TX I sat up against the only sizable tree in the area and starting my calling. He was approaching/gobbling. He was behind some cactus and I felt he would come into view any second. However, I noticed fire ants were crawling all over my leg and it wasn't long until I was under full attack. I didn't get that gobbler either.

However, so far I have been hawk free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts