The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or tips on harvesting some honey. I found a hive about 400yards from my house. I only want to take a little bit and then leave them alone for good. I was thinking of going at night with my red light and something that will smoke a little.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is way too early to take honey, the bees have been living on their reserve all winter, you have to give them a chance to build up the combs. Also, you want to be careful with wild hives that they aren't Africanized bees or you could have some real trouble. You are going to have to cut some wood from that tree to get honeycomb and you better be dressed for it and have a good bee smoker.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like more trouble than i'm willing to get into! I guess i'll leave them go. Never thought Africanized bees made it this far north. Thanks John

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
maybe you can make a deal with a local bee keeper.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
By the looks of that barbed wire wrapped around the tree, I'd say your not the only person that knows it's there...maybe a little smoke and just open the door.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the old fence. The tree grew around it. That might not be a bad idea, icemole!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I wouldn't bet the ranch, they are known to be as far north as the Cheasapeake bay areas.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
John S said:
John,

You Do know that the info on Wiki is Not always True??

I could submit a message to that site that reads
"I have 300 trees in my back yard and in each tree there are Africain Honey Bees in holes in each tree" When in fact I ONLY have 1 tree in my back yard and NO Bees what so ever in that 1 tree and it would show up some place in their page!

Somethings you read on Wiki are true, some things are NOT....You have to use other sources to see what is true and what is not!

NEVER have I read anything nor seen any of the TV Documentories done that show Africain Bees are North of Texas area.....It has been mentioned many times on Documentories on the History channel and Discovery channel by USDA Experts that the Winters here in the North are Far to cold for them to survive!

·
20,123 Posts
I cringe at the idea of messing with these bees. At least in my area the site of a honey bee is something to make note of as they are getting more and more rare with each passing year. I would leave them completely alone and just be happy that you have them around because a lot of folks wish they did including myself.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I am a beekeeper for 6 years. You have discovered a rare occurrence in the wilds of PA. Looks to me like you would have to remove some wood from that tree to get at the honeycomb and would probably destroy the colony in the process. There are no documented cases of Africanized bees here in PA; however, most of the bees supplied to the hobbiest beekeepers come from Florida, Georgia and California. These bees possibly could be Africanized or genetically hybridized thus putting the Africanized traits into the local gene pool.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts