The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for info, Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers Sportsmens club starts their woodswalk shoots this Sunday. Open to the public. Runs every Sunday 1/13/19 - 3/31/19 8:00am 02:30pm. Good time for newbies to experienced. Good group. I recommend it for newer people as these people are very willing to help you learn. Good chance to practice and keep the smokepoles active

http://www.harrisburghunters.org/club-info…/club-directions/

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TPlank, I really don't know. But I have never seen anyone shoot anything but PRB in their flints and caplocks. Not sure if some of the targets could handle Maxi's and such. I will ask this weekend

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Verified today, roundball only. And I shot like crap today, but think I figured out why. Next week should be back to my normal

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I really wanted to come today and my week caught up with me and I just couldn't get out of the house today....slept later than intended so I could catch up on sleep, then got waylaid with a bunch of household stuff I needed to do. Ugh.

Not sure about next weekend, but the one after, I should be good to go. Deer season will be over by then, too, so that'll make it a little easier to carve out some time.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice day for the woodswalk shoot. Did ok today, went 8/10 on both the relays I shot. Second one should have been 10/10 but I screwed up 2 shots. No excuse for the two misses on 1st relay. Just missed two tough shots is all.

Come on out. Good way to keep the charcoal burners active and stay in practice since the seasons are over and have some fun

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Just for info, Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers Sportsmens club starts their woodswalk shoots this Sunday. Open to the public. Runs every Sunday 1/13/19 - 3/31/19 8:00am 02:30pm. Good time for newbies to experienced. Good group. I recommend it for newer people as these people are very willing to help you learn. Good chance to practice and keep the smokepoles active

http://www.harrisburghunters.org/club-info…/club-directions/
Is that the same as a quail walk?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10 steel targets of varying shapes and sizes and various ranges. Patched round ball. Rifle, smoothbore and some guys shoot pistol (cap and ball revolver or flint/caplock). Walk a trail to the 10 shooting stations. dunno if that sounds like a quail walk.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
My question was answered when the conversation turned to muzzleloaders. Quail walks are with shotguns and clay birds. Thansk.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Used to shoot a LOT of trap and some skeet in the past. Never did a quail walk but thought that was what you were referring to

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I haven’t gotten there yet this year, but I shoot my hunting load when I shoot the course. No reason not to...

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
The woods walks I have attended are geared toward accuracy in field shooting conditions. It isn't really a bear requiring a 100 grain load for penetration. You just need to hit it. No sense bruising a shoulder for a couple dings on a metal gong, or to break a clay bird. Years back, there was a wood walk with a really long shot, like 220 yds. Sort of a Hail Mary target. There was only one guy who regularly hit the gong and with a load so light it took nearly 2 seconds to reach the target.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I am using the same rifle I hunt with, so using my same hunting load since sights are set up for it and i know exactly where it hits at a given range. A good thing to know on the small targets. I don't shoot blackpowder shoots enough to justify a rifle dedicated to target shooting set up with a light target load. Besides, i use this as practice for hunting, so i use my hunting set up. My hunting load in this rifle is no bruiser. Bedford Co. style .50 cal with 80gr 2f .490 prb and patches lubed with Lehigh Valley Lube. Can shoot that all day wearing a T-shirt let alone wearing cold weather clothes. The whole idea is HAVE SOME FUN and get some more practice in. Added bennie is learning from others that have years of BP experience

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Agreed.

My rifle is not small, and has a pretty wide buttplate. Even with a fair amount of 2f under a 0.600 ball, I can and have shot it a lot in a T-shirt at the range. It’s no factor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts