The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we hooked up a Harman pellet stove and I cannot stop smiling, this thing is awesome and it blows heat like I did not believe. It’s heating our entire place. We went with the accentra 52i

Reactions: BBB

·
Banned
138 Posts
Harman II

I bought a Harman II (coal or wood) in 1989 and I heat my home for around $500 for the year. Harman is well built stove, right here in PA. :smile2:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I heat my home also with a Harman pellet stove , we have had it for years. We will go through 3 or 4 pallets of pellets per winter. Its a lot cheaper than propane.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Have had a Harman II (coal/wood) for over 30 years now...love it!!

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
This is the second season for ours.

We have the Allure 50 without the added beauty kit. Didn't need no stinking colored sides and added curved glass front

Last winter we went through 3 tons and my electric budget has dropped down close to $100.00 where it was $260.00 after our first three winters with the heat pump.

Better heat too. When the heat pump shifted to the 'aux' electric grid our upstairs would overheat and the downstairs would be colder.

Now the bedroom is sleeping cool and you can feel the warmth increasing as you walk down the steps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not a Harman but was gifted a pellet stove by my grandfather-in-law. Put it in our house and have been amazed how well it does heating the whole house, 1,400 sq. ft. It is an older model so there isn't a ton of adjustment. It seems like it is on hot or on really hot lol. The room it is in is a little warm but the rest of the house is perfect. Kind of want to put one in at camp now. Have a propane fireplace at the moment.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Been heating my house with a Harman now for 20(?) years. I have a house design that works nice with it. 3-4T per year.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Not a Harman but was gifted a pellet stove by my grandfather-in-law. Put it in our house and have been amazed how well it does heating the whole house, 1,400 sq. ft. It is an older model so there isn't a ton of adjustment. It seems like it is on hot or on really hot lol. The room it is in is a little warm but the rest of the house is perfect. Kind of want to put one in at camp now. Have a propane fireplace at the moment.
The newer units have a thermostat. Mu son in law's parents live in Danbury, CT. and burn 3 - 5 tons a year. Their stove doesn't have a thermostat and he needs to adjust the feed rate according to the outside temps.

·
Registered
25,712 Posts
Pellets used to run around $200 a ton here last I looked, but that was a few years ago. What are they up to now?

I have access to free firewood, but cutting, hauling and splitting it is getting to be more of a chore as I get older. Neighbors ditched their wood burner several years ago for a pellet stove and seem happy. Looks like they do at two or three skids per year.

Main reason I haven't tumbled for a pellet stove yet, is the cost. Think she said the one they got cost over two grand. I've been using the same wood stove we paid $200 for, 25 years ago. Double door Schrader, takes up to 30" firewood. Barely used at the time we bought it and in mint condition. It will also burn coal, but haven't done that in years.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I paid 200 a ton this year i have a harman in the house now for like 20+yrs and a new england at the cabin. You can find used ones in the lancaster farmer at good prices

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked at the allure50 but we needed the fireplace insert and really like the accentra 52, it’s heating our whole cabin but we have cathedral ceilings as well. Works nice. I considered propane but I was able to get pellets through a friend for 100$ a ton.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Pellets used to run around $200 a ton here last I looked, but that was a few years ago. What are they up to now?
I bough a ton for $215 in Erie this year from my local Harmon dealer. That was in November. Seems like it goes up ~$10 each month in the winter then drops over the summer. Not sure the cheapest they get but am going to check it out next year. Hard part is finding a spot to store a ton of pellets for months...

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I looked at the allure50 but we needed the fireplace insert and really like the accentra 52, it’s heating our whole cabin but we have cathedral ceilings as well. Works nice. I considered propane but I was able to get pellets through a friend for 100$ a ton.
The little Allure 50 heats my 1400 sq ft house. with permit, installation and the stove I spent $5400.00. The electric cost of a cold winter with the heat pump was over $3k a year. I think I will come out ahead.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a Harman in my basement and a Harman fireplace insert in my upstairs. My house is 2700 sq feet and the pellet stoves are much warmer than electric. I get my pellets for about $190 a ton. I go through about 5 to 6 ton a year. I had an $800 electric bill for one month before I put the stoves in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We have a Harman pellet stove at our log cabin. It does an incredible job. Love it. Truly the best investment we made.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Tioga county- all pellets are in the $240-$250/ton range. We have 2 Englander stoves- one a camp and one at home. I think if they ever go, I'm looking at a Harmon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts