The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see your favorite varitey. These guys are a bulk batch i am tying for my own box so don't look for pretty flies in this picture

simple to tie and deadly. You can make a quick change to try and trigger a strike with a color picky trout. It is a simple hare's ear with vinyl rib instead of gold, color to match bead. The gold and brown is my natural patern. I like to use natural skin instead of a tail feather wing case as well. this was my first time tying with monfilament eyes as well. I am ver anxious to get these on the stream for some testing.

They now have so many colors of dyed hares mask that the possibilities are endless with this classic pattern. I like to tie mine thicker than most, as well.

Lets see your variation that works.

·
Registered
222 Posts
No pictures of one of my Hares Ear patterns, but it is basically a traditional Hares Ear, except that I tie in thin strips of black closed cell foam along each side to represent the wing cases of a nymph that is close to hatching. The foam strips give more depth to the wing case, like the real nymph, just prior to hatching.

I then put a flash back on top between these simulated wing cases (holographic tinsel - either green or gold) topped off with a dab of 5-minute super glue to give it some flash and a simulated air bubble.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Good idea on the foam wing cases. I would like to see those in the water . Mine are weighted and no beadheads ,just gold tinsel through the body and then "picked out" . Good one also for you on the glue for an air bubble .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts