The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Sunday the wifed and I went up to Lumber Liquidators and picked out some engineered hardwood floors for the house.

Initially we were just going to do the entry way and hallway but it was a decent deal so we figured we would do more. They were offering 2 years interest free so I thought, what the heck.

Where I am really concerned now is the installation piece. They are in State College and we are in DuBois so it is $25 just for him to come out and take "official" measurements then on average they say it is about $2.65 a sq. ft. to install. Based on that I am looking at an additional $2500 in labor give or take.

Does anyone have experience doing it themselves? I am not the most handy guy and everything is basically square but I do have some friends that could probably help out. How easy is it to lay hardwoods (engineered)? We plan to nail down instead of float.

Just wanted to thear you guy's thoughts.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
It is very easy. The catch being, are you doing several small spaces or an entire floor ? If you are doing an entire first floor, you just have to know a few things first. Most important is snapping a center line of the entire space, and corner to corner lines along the walls. These keep you from going off square on a large floor. Smaller spaces are much more forgiving, depending on what base board you trim with, its pretty easy to hide boo-boos in small rooms. I've done a ton of it, after the first few courses, you will get it. Remember always to cut your end pieces unfinished side up, the circular saw blade will mar the finish if you cut them finished side up. You can do it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What Joe said. In addition, check out YouTube and watch some installs. Sub floor prep can be a pain if its particle board that has been wet, moisture barrier is advisable. Double check square and snap lines, last thing you want on a hallway are boards cut at a angle to fit. And don't forget the knee pads. I am just finishing a kitchen and will selling a flooring nailer and flooring stapler soon. Punxsy area.

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me know your plans for that equipment M.

Shoot me a PM when you're ready to sell.

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still may get someone to install it, I am debating.

That said the guy they have coming is from State College and after speaking with him on the phone I am a little hesitant.

Does anyone know someone local to DuBois, should we have it installed, that they can recommend?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I would say do them yourself. Pick up a flooring nailer from Harbor Freight(I have had one for years, put down lots of flooring, and have never had a single issue with it). Take your time, snap your lines, and you wont have any issues. Plus you can look at it all the time, and be proud of a job that was done right.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
No doubt I would do it myself. The hardest part is laying it out, once that's done it's like putting a puzzle together only you get to cut the pieces to fit.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
I had mine done by pro's and after watching them...I could have saved that money.
Since then (10 years) I have put in 4 friends house.

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have debated back and forth with the wife, she wants a pro so it is done right and good. I say I'll give it go and I am confident I can do it.

What swayed things in my favor.....the pro, who assured us it would be laid before the new year, now says it will be mid-January at best.

What really [censored] about that is I already toore up the carpets and trim and removed the stair railings everywhere.

Of course, we are hosting on New YEar's eve so my house will be a mess.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
JUST DO IT YOURSELF. WATCH SOME YOUTUBE. you'll catch on real quick. remember. every expert was once a novice. my friend did his and he can't even change his oil

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Backwoods said:
Well I have debated back and forth with the wife, she wants a pro so it is done right and good. I say I'll give it go and I am confident I can do it.

What swayed things in my favor.....the pro, who assured us it would be laid before the new year, now says it will be mid-January at best.

What really [censored] about that is I already toore up the carpets and trim and removed the stair railings everywhere.

Of course, we are hosting on New YEar's eve so my house will be a mess.
After some of the new years eve parties I've been to it's probably good the floor isn't down.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have to say, as a commercial carpenter, you need to have a square layout. It is no different than an accustical ceiling, you need a square layout to the room, and where you plan to go with the hardwood. If you plan on going into a hallway or multiple rooms, or through doorways, you need to strike control lines. I actually ripped an entire floor out of my aunt and uncles house, because their neighbor "big time residential contractor" installed the floor. He never struck control lines, just measured off the outside wall. Well the hallway was not square to the outside walls, and the hallway looked like a fun house.

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the offer.

However after watching some videos, talking with folks, and the feedback from HPA I am pretty confident I can tackle the job.

Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts