The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What creates the hardest blood trail if it even creates one.. to follow most often? Muzzleloader, arrow, or bullet?

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
What creates the hardest blood trail if it even creates one.. to follow most often? Muzzleloader, arrow, or bullet?

A poor shot. LOL. I have seen tough trails by all 3 and one's that Stevie Wonder could see. Lots of variables, but all things considered the arrow probably has the hardest blood trail of the 3.

·
Banned
1,525 Posts
It's all depends. Are we talking about a complete pass through for each or just a single entry wound and no exit? I will say hardest would be muzzle loader, arrow, then rifle but like cspot said many variables come into play

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's all depends. Are we talking about a complete pass through for each or just a single entry wound and no exit? I will say hardest would be muzzle loader, arrow, then rifle but like cspot said many variables come into play
Overall, on the whole, which produces the hardest trail.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My vote goes to muzzleloader...round ball or other projectile like a powerbelt.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A poor shot. LOL. I have seen tough trails by all 3 and one's that Stevie Wonder could see. Lots of variables, but all things considered the arrow probably has the hardest blood trail of the 3.
Poor shot..not all the time lol. As a youngster I used to grip the gun so tight and wrap my arm in the sling to steady. All that did was have me pull everything. I shot at a standing deer at 75 yards behind the shoulder and pulled it way left and hit the jugular....there was no blood trail...just a huge blood puddle with a deer in it.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Muzzleloader for sure. Like punching a deer with a piece of 3/8 rerod. Hands down, the poorest trails , sometimes no trail, came from lead round balls.

3/8 rerod is about 38 caliber....illegal for big game. I'm just funning you. :)

Then too there is a fair amount of missing blood trails stemming from the hard to accept fact that the animal was..... missed.

A lot of deer in Pa have succumbed to it....only taking a couple steps or less.

Within the bloodtrail/roundball issue, I don't understand people not finding blood with a 45 and up, thinking a 32 would improve the problem. :D

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
been shooting deer since 1971 and tracked and helped track more than I could count. CF, arrows and ML. by far the worst blood trails have been from ML. shot deer the last 25 plus years with a .62 cal., all dead deer but very seldom a blood trail. none have gone very far, but you have to follow up the shot, whether it is from a .32 or 72.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
3/8 rerod is about 38 caliber....illegal for big game. I'm just funning you. :)

Then too there is a fair amount of missing blood trails stemming from the hard to accept fact that the animal was..... missed.

A lot of deer in Pa have succumbed to it....only taking a couple steps or less.

Within the bloodtrail/roundball issue, I don't understand people not finding blood with a 45 and up, thinking a 32 would improve the problem. :D
nobody ever said shooting a .32 cal would "solve the problem". a .32 is more than capable of killing a whitetail. bullet size does not make up for shot placement and poor shooting ability!

·
Registered
191 Posts
+1

Muzzleloader for sure. Like punching a deer with a piece of 3/8 rerod. Hands down, the poorest trails , sometimes no trail, came from lead round balls.
roundball and ballistic tips w my .280.

archery takes 20 yards for blood trail to start, but then its steady, and broadheads are at least designed to cut.

Like stated, also depends on the hit. a poor one will be trouble w/ any projectile.

Nut

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
I think shot placement.
Heart shots give less than lung shots.( 1-2 holes)
Deer shot in the lungs are often coughing up blood trying to clear the lungs.(2-3 holes in,out,throat)
The older I get I squat down at the spot where the deer stood and rely on seeing skuffed up leaves.You see direction of travel better.

Other states use 32 cal muzzys and guys are killing deer!Fore fathers used allot of 38-40 cals. on deer and bear.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I had liver shot with crossbow. mostly internal bleeding. not much of a blood trail until the last few yards... thankfully I waited.. about a 100 yd recovery,,,

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
this is the toughest with a round ball I believe.
I would generally agree with this (in theory) but I have no first-hand knowledge.
An inline with a modern bullet is another story. I have a .50 cal Thompson/Center. It will shoot a 300 grain Hornady FPB at 1800 fps. That would leave a nice hole.

My worst blood trails have been with high powered rifle where the bullets failed to pass through. My best trails have been from rifles where you get a good exit. I had no exit an zero blood trail from the buck that I shot with a .308 this year. Luckily, I saw him drop.

Gut shots mean poor blood trails regardless of weapon, in my experience. Heart/lung shots with a bow have always resulted in good blood trails from a bow for me. Most I have been able to walk at a normal pace and follow them easily. About 75 percent of the deer that I have shot with a bow have dropped within sight. It's impressive how lethal an arrow with a good broadhead is when it hits the vitals.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
I think shot placement.
Heart shots give less than lung shots.( 1-2 holes)
Deer shot in the lungs are often coughing up blood trying to clear the lungs.(2-3 holes in,out,throat)
The older I get I squat down at the spot where the deer stood and rely on seeing skuffed up leaves.You see direction of travel better.

Other states use 32 cal muzzys and guys are killing deer!Fore fathers used allot of 38-40 cals. on deer and bear.

32 caliber .....32 inch barrel. .310 roundball. 20 grains FFF goex.

Muzzle velocity... 1221 feet per second. 148 foot pounds of energy.

25 yards.....96 foot pounds of energy.
50 yards....72 foot pounds of energy.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
The subject of the thread pertains to difficult blood trails. Ill bet a 32 caliber round ball would realize a lesser blood trail than the legal for deer ML calibers......:D :D Unless it bounces back and hits the shooter in the shin.....

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
32 caliber .....32 inch barrel. .310 roundball. 20 grains FFF goex.

Muzzle velocity... 1221 feet per second. 148 foot pounds of energy.

25 yards.....96 foot pounds of energy.
50 yards....72 foot pounds of energy.
why would YOU use 20 grains? that's a nice squirrel load!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
The subject of the thread pertains to difficult blood trails. Ill bet a 32 caliber round ball would realize a lesser blood trail than the legal for deer ML calibers......:D :D Unless it bounces back and hits the shooter in the shin.....
more opinion on your part! facts please? ever spend much time shooting and killing game with a .32, .36, or .40 cal.? my guess would be no.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts