The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think my frizzen throws good spark.. I often hear about this being done. Anybody know how to do it or whats involved?? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
cherry red hardening powder works pretty good, I just did a frizzen for a friend. but the best thing to do is to replace it with a good frizzen. what gun is it on?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
If your frizzen has gouges in it you just might to replace it with a Lyman frizzen.
A good Black English,French Amber,or American Chert flint helps also.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RMC accusporter. I m trying to find another frizzen, but the one I have, I have not found a replacement.... nothing seems to be an identical match for what my frizzen looks like....

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Kasenit may work for a bit but a new frizzen from L&R should be hardened all the way through. Then, get a good KNAPPED Flint like 410er said and learn how to sharpen them. Even a good frizzen won't spark well with a dull flint.

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
If it is an Accusport, there is something wrong beside the frizzen. L&R locks are top notch. It is not just the hardness of the frizzen face, but the carbon content. A frizzen of high carbon steel does not have to be very hard to spark well. Tempering too hard will leave the frizzen brittle and subject to breakage. Cut flints are crap and do not work as well on a good frizzen as an English flint. I had L&R locks that had fired over 500 shots and barely showed a scratch on the frizzen face. Have you checked with Accusport about the issue?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had the same problem with mine but I used a tc cut flint to sight it in. It had about a second delay. I haven't shot it since I put the English flint it came with back in. I only had the one English flint so didn't want to ruin it when sighting in the new gun. Will be highly disappointed in the accusporter if the English flint doesn't speed up ignition. Had my firestorm going off almost instantly with the same setup including the cut flints

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gents, thanks for all the helpful information..
Retired Rusty-thanks for that, calling them soon..
Zimmer... It sparks, just not to the extent that I think it should. It fires, but I like to tinker around till it suits me... Thanks for your input though...
R2D2- never knew flints could be sharpened. I always replaced them after I thought they were worn out........

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got off the phone with L&R. Shipping my lock to them as soon as our season ends here...... Thanks again.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Gents, thanks for all the helpful information..
R2D2- never knew flints could be sharpened. I always replaced them after I thought they were worn out........
Knapped flints can be sharpened, flints cut on a lapidary saw cannot.

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
Cherry red is an agent to carbonize a thin layer of the surface steel. Mild steel does not spark enough to be used for a frizzen. Manufacturers like TC used mild steel and then case hardened them using a cyanide dip. Other manufacturers likie L&R, Chambers, Davis, etc, use a high carbon alloy to make their frizzens. Cherry Red or Kasenite, will do nothing for a frizzen of proper carbon content. Tempering will change the hardness. Tempering can affect the depth a flint can penetrate to scrape off those small bits of steel that become the sparks to ignite the prime. Frankly, nearly all custom locks come with properly hardened frizzens. It takes a lot of heat and then slow cool to draw the hardness out of a frizzen. You want sparks but not something that lights up the night sky. There should be a reliable line of sparks thrown into the pan in a line perpendicular to the bore. They should be light orange to yellow. You don't need something that looks like 4th of July sparklers

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Cherry red is an agent to carbonize a thin layer of the surface steel. Mild steel does not spark enough to be used for a frizzen. Manufacturers like TC used mild steel and then case hardened them using a cyanide dip. Other manufacturers likie L&R, Chambers, Davis, etc, use a high carbon alloy to make their frizzens. Cherry Red or Kasenite, will do nothing for a frizzen of proper carbon content. Tempering will change the hardness. Tempering can affect the depth a flint can penetrate to scrape off those small bits of steel that become the sparks to ignite the prime. Frankly, nearly all custom locks come with properly hardened frizzens. It takes a lot of heat and then slow cool to draw the hardness out of a frizzen. You want sparks but not something that lights up the night sky. There should be a reliable line of sparks thrown into the pan in a line perpendicular to the bore. They should be light orange to yellow. You don't need something that looks like 4th of July sparklers
funny how any frizzen I have done or anyone I know has done with cherry red or kasenite have sparked extremely well. I guess we must have done something wrong?

best thing is to put a quality frizzen on and that will solve the problem. sometimes a "thin layer" is all that is needed to get through the season.

·
Registered
25,476 Posts
The original frizzen on my ancient T/C Hawken 45 cal. went south years ago. Ordered a Lyman replacement frizzen, problem solved. Took about five minutes with the Dremel to "make it fit" and install it, no issues since.

Was several years ago, forget what it cost but it wasn't that much.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
it would be nice to Lyman get with the game a little bit. I ordered one for a gun I'm working on 2 weeks ago and still don't have it. they say it may take up to 10 days to ship the order. makes it tough for the guys who always wait until the last minute.

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
So how many L&R frizzens, Davis, frizzens and Chambers frizzens have you treated? as compared to TC, Traditions and CVA? I have treated case hardened frizzens, or just plain soft frizzens. (The Japanese Tower pistol frizzens all were mild steel and hard to be treated to fire the gun.) A quality lock frizzen needs no such treatment, unless it is a lock kit. And then it needs only hardening. Adding carbon to what is already carbon steel won't hurt. It just doesn't help that much.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Used to be a product sold yrs ago, looked like a small piece of tin , name started with a Z I believe, you riveted it to the top of your frizzen it sparked like crazy and lasted forever

·
Registered
818 Posts
Used to be a product sold yrs ago, looked like a small piece of tin , name started with a Z I believe, you riveted it to the top of your frizzen it sparked like crazy and lasted forever
I believe that was called "mish" metal. Not sure of the spelling. Anyway, it was the same metal as the magnesium fire starting sticks only in a flat configuration. I'm pretty sure they were declared illegal for PA flintlock hunting because the metal wasn't steel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts