The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read the article below on what we will spend for ONE day (Halloween). The PA legislature should hang the heads in shame that they have not approved a license increase since 1999. I wonder what their salaries have risen over the last 18 years. Scratching my head on this one. :sad:

According to the National Retail Federation (NRF), Americans will spend $9.1 billion on Halloween candy, costumes and pumpkins in 2017. This is up 8.3% from last year.
The biggest chunk of the spending will go towards costumes, with holidaymakers spending $3.4 billion to dress up like their favorite monsters and superheroes. For those impatiently waiting to satisfy their sweet tooth, never fear. Americans are expected to spend $2.7 billion on candy this year.
Broken down, the NRF predicts that each person will spend an average of $86.13 on Halloween festivities, up from last year’s figure of $82.93. All of that spending can seem scary if money is tight, nevertheless, people seem up to the challenge. Just 12.9% say that their spending will be impacted by the economy.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
So just how does this tie in with legislators salaries and hunting license increase?? Scratching my head on this too

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just how does this tie in with legislators salaries and hunting license increase?? Scratching my head on this too
Well Jag, if you need me to "splain this" to you and I really don't think you will make the connections. Hey, you have a good day. :grin2:

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I guess we all aren't reading between the lines here. Your post is about all the money spent on Halloween candy.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I wish he'd spell it out.....like CRYSTAL CLEAR!

I can't figure it out! What does what the entire country spends on Halloween have to do with hunting license costs in PA? I was trying to make a connection, but then he threw in inflation and I'm just lost after that!

Reactions: Danesdad

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Are we supposed to be spending $90 a day because the PA legislature should say we should?????

Just trying to make a connection....

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish he'd spell it out.....like CRYSTAL CLEAR!

I can't figure it out! What does what the entire country spends on Halloween have to do with hunting license costs in PA? I was trying to make a connection, but then he threw in inflation and I'm just lost after that!
OK Jason, I stand corrected as inflation and a license increase have no connection what so ever. Thanks for clearing things up for me. LMAO

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
for something as trivial as Halloween, the average person in the US spent $82 last year and $86 this year. Everything goes up, even what folks spend on non-essentials like Halloween. Further $86 bucks for a single night or couple nights' cavorting is horribly expensive when compared to the return in recreational time for a hunting license. Everything goes up, wages paid by the PGC included. Yet with hunting licenses down, the deficit in sales needs to be made up elsewhere. The Natural gas boom isn't so boomish right now. The economy has bounced back a lot and the group in Harrisburg sits on their rumps ignoring some vital issues, like a license increase.

This plays into the hands of those who see the PGC resources and budget and connive to combine agencies or convert part of it to the general fund or for schools etc.

There are those who would change the PGC into a part of DCNR so they can sell off game lands and put the money into the general fund for other pet programs. Every year the PGC is on the financial ropes gives these folks ammunition for their short sighted potential theft from the hunters who paid for those lands.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good Post

Good post Zimm, I was sure some on here understand what we can lose. To bad most can't see what you can. Thank you

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Good post Zimm, I was sure some on here understand what we can lose. To bad most can't see what you can. Thank you
Zimm's post is good. He forms a cohesive thought and argues the merits and/or repercussions of it. What you originally posted is a mish-mash of random sentences and a quoted 'article' about national Halloween sales figures.

Frankly, I don't know why this state is so opposed to a hunting or fishing license increase. I don't know why they've been so opposed to it for so long either. What I do know is comparing two completely unrelated things and expecting everyone to jump right on board with it without asking for clarification is silly at best. If you want to have a discussion about a topic it's helpful if you make a coherent statement about it at a minimum to get that dialog started.

Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years are coming up....it's likely the country spends more on those than we did 20 years ago too. It's hard to believe my wages haven't risen right in line with those increases! Dang PA legislature should be ashamed! That's the same kind of 'argument' you were making and it doesn't make any sense at all.

Reactions: Danesdad

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry Jason

Sorry Jason, but you and others that had a problem connecting the dots are content with watching the PGC collapse. As a PA hunter, I find this short sighted with what we hunters stand to lose if if lost the SGL's systems. Hey, I hope you had a good Halloween.

·
Registered
16,974 Posts
i got what he meant. folks can spend $86 bucks on candy and costumes for one night but cant pony up an extra $10 bucks for a hunting license thats good for a year. the Legislature has not approved a license increase for the PGC but they always approve an increase in pay and benefits for themselves.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.