The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a doe in ohio last night (1-22). It was a "real feel" temp of -6 when i shot her with the bow. She is skinned and hanging in a garage. The temp in the garage is about 29*.

Does anything change with hanging a deer in these temperatures? How long should i let her hang, etc?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Just freeze that's all. Runs through grinder better semi froze! You'll just have to that to cut up!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
You took care of the only part that has ever given me trouble. Skinning a frozen deer can be tough on the fingers. The meat will be a little stiff on the outside but shouldn't be much of a problem to debone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess im just concerned about possibly freezer burn?
She's got a good layer of fat on her, so that should help protect the meat i would guess.

Maybe i will cut her up friday

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
It is hard to cut a deer that is frozen solid. It will freeze solid in these temps in less than 2 days. Cut it as soon as possible if not already frozen. If it has froze you don't want to thaw it out to cut it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Try to keep it from freezing completely, you want to to cool, not freeze up.

·
Registered
9,686 Posts
Won,t hurt it a bit.Just as soon as the temps warm you can do it up.The standard in the beef industry is to hang the beef in a cooler below freezing for two weeks before cuttin up.No it won,t hurt the t/loins but they will darken if left to long.They are so tender they don,t need a lenghy hangin process like the rest of the deer can benefit from.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have shot lots of deer in the bow seasons past,and not being able to cut them up due to not wanting to take away hunting time ..So i have frozen the quarters in the freezer until rifle and cut them all at once with the rifle deer...Never an issue or could I tell a difference....As for the tenderloins they never go uneaten by the end of the next day.....Just had some from last night.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
I have 2 hind quarters to cut up in the freezer now. Been doing it for years if I dont have time to fini9sh 1. Never had a problem with thawing it out and cutting it up and refreezing at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts