The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pontoon boat and would like to take my mother out for some much needed relaxation . But , to be safe , I need to get some type of ramp to safely get her onboard . Yes , the public dock is almost even with the boat deck , but that gap will be a problem for her to step across . Question : she has very good insurance , would Blue Cross possibly pick up part of the cost like they do for walkers and such ? If not , does anyone have a good source for this kind of equipment or do I just do the normal internet search ? Thanks for any and all suggestions .

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You may be over thinking this. If the boat dock and your boat deck are nearly even why not get some 3/4" plywood cut the the width of the door on your pontoon and of appropriate length possibly reinforce as necessary. You are only talking a few feet to get from the boat dock onto the deck of your boat. I can't see insurance covering something like this. Personally I would try to build something myself however I do not know your skill set and the needs of your mother. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nomad . Yes , the public dock I usually use is good for plywood , but I'm thinking of other places I may take her . I'll need to make
a pivot type mount of some type and make the ramp at least 4 ft long so it's not too steep for her . I'm pretty handy with tools , but would like this to be aluminum for transport purposes . Plywood & hardware can add up quickly in weight .

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I totally hear what you are saying and plywood gets heavy quick. Maybe use a section of old aluminum ladder as your base and then cover one side of it with some form of aluminum material as decking. I have seen some guys use old ladders to give structural integrity to their custom boat deck builds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts