The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be hunting some bigger woods this year in Central and North Central Pa and also out of state.

I am looking for any suggestions on a first time GPS user. Looking for something easy to get used to for a first timer.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Well, I'v been using a Garmin 60CSx for several years and lot it. Sadly, they stopped making it and replaced it with a 62 series. I've heard good things about it and would get one myself if I ever needed to replace the 60CSx.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I always used a garmin and was very happy with it until one weekend I forgot it. Then I looked for apps on my droid smart phone and love it. I use backcountry navigation pro. It has all types of maps and you do not need signal. I hunt a lot of backwoods with no signal and never had a problem, but my battery died once now I carry an extra one.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I'll second the Garmin GPS 60 CSx and you can still buy them - check amazon for prices.

I got one last fall. I used the CD to down load and up load free topo of PA & it works great. I had an older E-Trex legend [which is STILL sold and really out of date.]so I was able to pick uo the new one and go, it works smoothly and re draws quickly! I found instead of 'north up' I prefer it to show track up, you can stand on a point and watch it redraw as you swivel around. I find I'm not marking way points like I did on my old unit, just reading the map compared to where I am...

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Steve in PA said:
Well, I'v been using a Garmin 60CSx for several years and lot it. Sadly, they stopped making it and replaced it with a 62 series. I've heard good things about it and would get one myself if I ever needed to replace the 60CSx.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
MQ-1 said:
Steve in PA said:
I think I read that this is still the best selling Garmin model.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i've got an old magellan mapquest with the topo maps and it still works pretty well but takes a while to lock on. i relied upon it heavily when i was scouting my new mountain hunting areas about 10 years ago.

one word of advice though for a new GPS user. Don't rely upon the GPS to the point where your internal sense of direction is "turned off". kind of hard to explain, but for me anyway, i have a really good sense of direction when i pay attention and think as i'm moving through the woods. when i first started using my GPS i basically stopped concentrating and let the GPS do my thinking for me. when i lost signal or battery, i was somewhat flustered. i now use it only for occasional reference and making waypoints.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pumpgun,
I understand exactly what you mean. I got into the dumb down situation with my vehicle GPS.

Thanks to all who responded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've used the Garmin Oregon 450T and the etrex 20. The etrex is ok, gets the job done. I really loved the Oregon though. Had the birdseye imagery on it, topos, road navigation. Great, rugged gps.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Bushnell backtrack. It's a GPS for dummies and works awesome.

Very simple to use. It only has five way points, and has an arrow that points in the direction that you marked, like your truck, and shows the distance.

It's cheap and a breeze to use. As basic as you can get.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
pumpgun said:
one word of advice though for a new GPS user. Don't rely upon the GPS to the point where your internal sense of direction is "turned off". kind of hard to explain, but for me anyway, i have a really good sense of direction when i pay attention and think as i'm moving through the woods. when i first started using my GPS i basically stopped concentrating and let the GPS do my thinking for me. when i lost signal or battery, i was somewhat flustered. i now use it only for occasional reference and making waypoints.
Been there too! My old Blue E-Trex legend was just a simple stree map and you had to mark waypoints and use the trail it marked. I started wearing a pin on compass to keep my directions lined up and the way points to picture where I was.Driving to camp w/ the GPS zoomed out to roadmap level the area around camp appeared as a cluster of dots from all the waypoints I had marked.

W/ the GPS 60CSx I keep the unit on 'trail up instead of Map up and utilize the topo almost as if I was walking round with a perfectly oriented topo map all the time. The compass is still pinned on [and Dad's old one is in my pack!] but I find it much easier to use this GPS and not get confused compared to my older 'bare bones' model.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
All garmins are good. Get the one that has the options you want and you can afford. If all you want to spend is the least that will get you home and back it will just have tracks on a clear screen. I really recommend one with topo though. Have been using a garmin for years only ever lost signal once and it was an extreme situation. Last day of small game one year sky was completley overcast and it started snowing to the point of a whiteout. I think the one I have now is the Oregon with the colored screen and it is a touch screen. I really love it. Topo is great shows pipelines, county lines, powerlines, railroads, streams, trails, just about everything. I hunt squirrels with dogs and it is a valuable tool for a dog hunter. Never know where you might end up. Dog usually stay close and always come back but if the squirrels aren't moving they can get out there deep enough that it is nice to have a gps and you don't have to leash them and get back to familar territory and turn them out again. You can just keep on hunting and work your way back toward where you want to be. Wife got it for me for Christmas. Only thing that would have been better was the Garmin Astro which also tracks the dogs.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a Garmin E-Trex, but not sure off hand what the other part of the model name is. Anyways, it always seemed confusing to, trying to follow the lines on the map. Some time the arrow pointer moved and other times, it didn't seem like it wasn't even moving. I did not care for having to follow the path. It does have lots of features, but was more than I was looking for, but didn't really know what I had until after buying. I ended up getting a Bushnell backtrack. It doesn't follow the exact path you take in, but if you set a waypoint, it will lead you to the waypoint, but in more a straight line rather than the path you took. I do not need to use it that often, but it always has been accurate and lead me to the right place. Also was less confusing and is much more simplified.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I bought a Bushnell backtrack last winter, arrow never pointed in the right direction. Went through six till I got one that worked properly,and this one came from the bargan cave at Cabelas. I am happy with the one that works. I use an old etrex vista most of the time. The backtrack usually to just show where the truck is.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I bought a Garmin GPS 76Cx a few years back and have really found it useful. I've personally used 5 different GPS models from several makers and the 76Cx is my favorite. Its essentially the same as the 60 with the exception that it floats which is a handy feature if your around water.

I use mine a little more than the average user since it is my work GPS. I've had it bounce around a boat, left on the truck roof and fallen off, and dropped in the water numerous times. Still works great. It also picked up satellites in dense forest canopy right next to a $10,000 Trimble unit that wouldn't. Color maps are a nice feature as well. Points are easily downloaded into DNR GPS (free online) through standard USB cables that come with most cameras and external drives. I've also been very pleased with the accuracy.

·
Super Moderator
26,651 Posts
bpottorff said:
, arrow never pointed in the right direction.
I had a compass once that I swore was pointing in the wrong direction. I followed it anyway, and the stupid thing brought me right to where I wanted to be....... still in Montana, and not in Idaho, which is where my mind thought I should go!

BTW That's a true story.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts