The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the Book from what I could find and It's kinda confusing to me. I've been told I can by some and my one local gunshop owner swears I can't. So I have my license to carry can I carry one of the handguns while archery hunting? Is there a restriction on what gun it is? Can it be a semi? Nothing is being hunted with the gun? It's just for protection reasons.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
They changed the laws last year and you can now carry with a LTCF. However the firearm must be a personal defense weapon. No 8-inch scoped 44 mags!

·
Registered
22,058 Posts
So the type of firearm determines whether you're a poacher or a law-abiding citizen exercising his right to carry a firearm?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
PA-Joe said:
... No 8-inch scoped 44 mags!
The applicable PA Code (Title 34, Section 2525, and Title 18, 6102) will allow "8-inch scoped 44 mags".

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys.. I think the scoped 44 mag might be kinda bulky for me. Lol The guy at the local shop was dead set that I could carry a semi. I know you can't hunt with one just wanted to know if I could carry it for personal defense. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
PA-Joe said:
They changed the laws last year and you can now carry with a LTCF. However the firearm must be a personal defense weapon. No 8-inch scoped 44 mags!
There is no such thing as a "personal defense weapon". If the archer wants to carry a .50cal Desert Eagle with a laser sight, he is 100% within the law to do so.

·
Registered
46 Posts
my understanding is you can carry what ever you want as long as you have ccw lic. i carry semi everytime i go out in the woods

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Originally Posted By: bdawgmy understanding is you can carry what ever you want as long as you have ccw lic. i carry semi everytime i go out in the woods

NOT in PA...We don't have them Type of things...

Take note to what PA-Joe said!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Originally Posted By: WoodywoodduckOriginally Posted By: bdawgmy understanding is you can carry what ever you want as long as you have ccw lic. i carry semi everytime i go out in the woods

With a ltcf you are authorized to carry any type of handgun authorized by the license while bowhunting? With a sportsman permit you cannot carry a handgun of any type while bowhunting.

Mine states, self defense/hunting/fishing.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Under the uniform firearms code you are corrrect, you can carry any type of hand cannon you want. However, anything other than a small self defense type of weapon will be considered a hunting firarm under the PA Game Code and you will get cited for hunting with a firearm. Two different laws, two different standards! I suppose that some judge might accept your arguement that a 15-inch TC Encore in 300 Win Max is a self defense firearm! Some jury may also accept that arguement.

·
Registered
22,058 Posts
PA-Joe said:
Under the uniform firearms code you are corrrect, you can carry any type of hand cannon you want. However, anything other than a small self defense type of weapon will be considered a hunting firarm under the PA Game Code and you will get cited for hunting with a firearm. Two different laws, two different standards! I suppose that some judge might accept your arguement that a 15-inch TC Encore in 300 Win Max is a self defense firearm! Some jury may also accept that arguement.
OK.....so what if one is carrying any semi-auto....be it a 380 or 45? That isn't a legal hunting firearm.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
PA-Joe said:

Joe,
You need to look at Title 34, Section 2525 (see below) where you will see that the PA Game Code (Title 34) references Title 18 for the definition of a "firearm". While two different codes do come into play, only one definition of a "firearm" is applicable. No wording such as "small self defense type of weapon" is found in either title.

Sec. 2525. Possession of firearm for protection of self or others.

(a) General rule.- It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa C.S. Section 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.

(b) Construction.

(1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of firearms or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title.

(2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.

(c) Definitions. - As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Firearm." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions).

"Law enforcement officer." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions).

·
Registered
22,058 Posts
beaver boy said:
In all my years of archery hunting or just time spent in the woods I never felt I had a need for a ccw weapon.
Neither did I....until the day I needed one.

And I don't venture into the PA woods without one now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i never really felt the need myself but i carry when im in the woods for the time that i might have that need. hiking, hunting, or just a quick walk never know when you might walk up on a rabid four legged critter or the more then common two legged ones anymore.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Originally Posted By: tundragrizOriginally Posted By: WoodywoodduckOriginally Posted By: bdawgmy understanding is you can carry what ever you want as long as you have ccw lic. i carry semi everytime i go out in the woods

With a ltcf you are authorized to carry any type of handgun authorized by the license while bowhunting? With a sportsman permit you cannot carry a handgun of any type while bowhunting.

Mine states, self defense/hunting/fishing.

Go get yourself a full blown LTCF...Check Everything on the Application that is asked the reason for the permit... you never know if you might need it for work or Gun Collecting, 2 things able to be checked on the permit applications, For Work and Gun Collecting, Most guys never check them and it then just shows up normally on the permits, "Hunting, Fishing, Self Defense".......
Check them all and you come out with a LTCF that says "Protection" on it!

Also, If My Post Confused you and that is Why you Quoted it...
Don't let it Confuse you..

PA Has LTCFs- License To Carry Firearms.. you have the Choice to Conceal or Open Carry..

CCWs are Concealed Carry Weapons Permits, CCWs, you have to Conceal When you are carrying...
Like I said, PA Doesn't have them, We have a permit that allows us to decide which we want to do, show it on our hip or cover it up under clothing!

Some of you guys may have over looked the posting of this Site when it has been posted to help guys out with handgun questions..

http://www.pafoa.org/

They have a Host of information and Laws posted that will help you with most every question there is on Firearms, Handguns included!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts