The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There are clubs that teach handgun safety and shooting. If you post where you live maybe someone can help you out.

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
Mechanicsburg Sportsmen's Assoc. and Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers both offer NRA-certified handgun courses geared towards beginners.

There are also more advanced courses geared towards self defense, which generally include some advice from either attornies, or the PSP. Sometimes a county ADA even participates.

One might contact the NRA to find out if such a course is held in their own area?

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
I'm kinda biased, but Mechanicsburg might well have the better course for beginners?

They do similar courses each year for third year students from Dickenson/PSU law school.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Denny, if there's a shooting range by you it may help to call there or stop in. The place I go to has business cards of a few people there (Lehigh Valley).

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Both, you don't use a sportsmans club facility without being a member.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have same situation my lady friend wants to learn to use pistol and get a permit but i would like her to be instructed the right way I dont want to give her any of my bad habits She is from Uniontown Fayette County Thanks for any help

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
Actually, Mechanicsburg's NRA Basic Pistol courses are open to the public, but there is a nominal fee for course materials and such. I could be wrong, but I think all of our NRA-certified firearms courses are open to the public?

Been a while since I participated in any of them. There should be contact numbers/e-mails here for the Second VP, who schedules and helps conduct most of them:

http://www.msa-pa.org/

Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers:

http://www.harrisburghunters.org/

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Ty, Im a NRA certified shotgun/handgun instuctor(primarily Glocks)...Maybe able to help..What type of handgun does she have??

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks she doesnt have one yet she has shot my s&w 637 its 38 cal. she did well with it she has shot some other handguns but I'm not sure what kind I thot there was a place near Dunbar that has training I thought i heard it advertised on the radio a few years ago was hoping someone would know

1 - 13 of 13 Posts