The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course when the question arrise's most people will say yes keep the safety on . But you would be surprised how many people in a life or death panic situation will pull that trigger with the safety on and when nothing happens they will go into brain freeze. Now there are situations where guns should be locked in a vault or at least kept out of childrens hands. But if that emergency situation comes up you want to just pull the trigger. Don't get me wrong there are many situations where the safety has to be on but some situations maybe not. Just saw a show alittle while ago on tru tv when a guy came into ajewelry store to rob it the store owner grabbed his own handgun and pulled the trigger and nothing happened (safety on) so he took a few rounds, the robber left then came back to get an expensive watch then put the gun to the store owners head and pulled the trigger but his gun was empty and he left. When the store owner was asked later about the safety he said " hey i'm not james bond or anything" panic can make people not think clear sometimes can happen to anyone.

What are your thoughts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I suspect the jeweler had little or no training, and probably very seldom practiced with his handgun. If that's the case, then I'm not surprised. When SHTF your training automatically kicks in instead of your thought processes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
GLOCK......I love them and hate them because of the trigger safety, if it came to this situation it would've worked.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
ATR your absolutely right.

Over the years manufacturers of most modern semi's have developed internal safety mechanisms to prevent them from accidentally discharging unless the trigger is pulled through it's full cycle. This eliminates accidental discharges while lowering the hammer or if the weapon is dropped.
What was commonly refered to as a safety lever is often refer to as a decocking lever.

If you carry a double action semi equipped with the internal safeties there is no good reason to have the external decocking/safety lever engaged.
For single action semi's I'd would recommend that the safety be engaged if your carrying it "cocked and locked".

As SWD suggests, Glocks eliminate the problem by incorporating a safety in the trigger.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Pa-Plinker said:
I suspect the jeweler had little or no training, and probably very seldom practiced with his handgun. If that's the case, then I'm not surprised. When SHTF your training automatically kicks in instead of your thought processes.
Exactly. If you are going to carry a handgun with a manual safety, then you should practice drawing and firing while using the safety.

Its the same principal as some people who don't feel comfortable carrying a handgun with one in the chamber. They think they will have plenty of time, etc to rack that slide. If that is how you want to carry your handgun, you had better get some practice under your belt drawing and racking the slide (or taking the safety off) under some type of stress.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the semi-auto, but I do own 1. It is a Llama 1911 clone chambered in 9mm/38...AKA 9mm largo. When I carry it, I carry it "Cocked and Locked".

But I generally carry one of my revolvers. All are double action so if TSHTF, I just have to draw and squeeze.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts