The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you have to have a special permitt to hunt with a hand gun in pa i dont have a carrying permitt yet

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You don't need a CCW. As long as the handgun is legal for the game you are hunting, It is not a problem. Semi-Auto's are illegal though.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
You need a sportsmans permit. It's the same process of CCW. Might as well just get one of those.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Lacking a PA license to carry, you need a Sportsman's Permit to transport the handgun and to carry it concealed while hunting.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Now that this has started,I have a question.Years ago when I started handgun hunting,I went to the courthouse to get a sportsman's permit and the Sherrif told me that you can't technicaly conceal a handgun with a sportsmans permit.If just say it was raining and you had it under your coat,A WCO could bust you for it.So I got the CCW,does anyone know this true or not for fact.There does'nt seem to be much literature about it.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Yes, the Conceal Carry License can act as a hunting with a handgun license & a Conceal Carry License for personal protection. The Sportsman Permit is for hunting with a handgun ONLY. You can NOT carry a concealed pistol with a sportsman permit.

Sportsman Permit- Hunting with a handgun

CCL- Hunting with a handgun & carrying a concealed weapon for personal protection.

Some people just get the CCL because it covers both ends. Some people can't do that cause they aren't 21 (need to be 21 to have a CCL). So they get the Sportsman Permit (18-20 years of age) so they can still hunt with a handgun.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
mcoffey33 said:
how long would it take to get a ccw i wanted to take my 454 casull bear hunting
It should only take a few hours. Just make sure you have all you info right and you have the right addresses and phone numbers of all your references. I think it's something like $45 to start then I think around $5-$10 renewal. They are only good for 5 years.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You are correct. And because PA is "shall issue" state,you are better off getting the CCW.

However, there is a fine line between genius and insanity. Do you want the government to know everything about you or would you rather "Hide in the shadows"?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
BUCKSLAYER15 said:
Sounds like ACE agrees that you can't have a handgun under your coat with a sportsman's permit even while hunting.
If it was under your coat and or completely hidden hmmm yeah I guess that would be considered concealed.

I wear my SRH on my hip, but usually I'll fold over my jacket over the top of the pistol. It's still plain as day to see that I have this huge 9"+ bbl pistol on my hip cause the black holster can still be seen from my hip down. I guess I just get worried a branch will catch the hammer or it'll get really covered in junk from bear drives in a swamp. Anywho thats just me. I still have my paper work in check.

So yeah just make sure you have the right permit before you go out the door with a handgun.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
save your self a lot of trouble and head ake just get a carry permit CCW and you will be fine as long as your not usen a semi to hunt with

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
ACEarcher said:
mcoffey33 said:
It should only take a few hours. Just make sure you have all you info right and you have the right addresses and phone numbers of all your references. I think it's something like $45 to start then I think around $5-$10 renewal. They are only good for 5 years.
CCW permits run $25. Have 2 contact names, adresses and day phone numbers that they can contact. You want to be sure they can be reached (they will call once a day till they actually contact the person). It takes about 2 weeks to get the card.

As a side note, it is illegal to hunt with a buddys handgun. So have your own gun first.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
ACEarcher said:
Yes, the Conceal Carry License can act as a hunting with a handgun license & a Conceal Carry License for personal protection. The Sportsman Permit is for hunting with a handgun ONLY. You can NOT carry a concealed pistol with a sportsman permit.

Sportsman Permit- Hunting with a handgun

CCL- Hunting with a handgun & carrying a concealed weapon for personal protection.

Some people just get the CCL because it covers both ends. Some people can't do that cause they aren't 21 (need to be 21 to have a CCL). So they get the Sportsman Permit (18-20 years of age) so they can still hunt with a handgun.
You need to clarify your answer. You can carry concealed with a Sportman's Permit as long as you are hunting, fishing or trapping.

While hunting with the Sportman's Permit, the handgun must be of the type that can be used for hunting, such as a revolver or singleshot.

If you have a license to carry, you can either carry the above OR a semi-auto for personal protection. However, the semi-auto cannot be used to take, put down or finish off game.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
jon8777 said:
ACEarcher said:
mcoffey33 said:
CCW permits run $25. Have 2 contact names, adresses and day phone numbers that they can contact. You want to be sure they can be reached (they will call once a day till they actually contact the person). It takes about 2 weeks to get the card.

As a side note, it is illegal to hunt with a buddys handgun. So have your own gun first.
It is NOT illegal to hunt with your friends handgun as long as you have a license to carry firearms. PA law allows the loaning of a firearm (handgun) to another person.

Read PACS 6115 for further education.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
BUCKSLAYER15 said:
Sounds like ACE agrees that you can't have a handgun under your coat with a sportsman's permit even while hunting.
Wrong. With a Sportman's permit you can carry concealed while hunting.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It is NOT illegal to hunt with your friends handgun as long as you have a license to carry firearms. PA law allows the loaning of a firearm (handgun) to another person.

Read PACS 6115 for further education.

I cant find my link, but if memeory serves me right its the legality of the feds saying that you can not carry a gun that is not registered to you.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts