The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking onto getting my wife a handgun of her own. I am leaning towards air lite 38. I am interested in knowing what handguns the women in your life have.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Best thing you can do is find somebody or somewhere, that will allow you to shoot as many guns she can get her hands on. The worst thing you can do is give her a gun that has too much recoil.

·
Banned
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. She has shot my 9, my 357, and 41 mag. Doesn't care for any of them. I was leaning 38 just based on frame size, and gentler round. But maybe 380 is a good one to consider.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
TEE said:
My wife did good with the glock 19 but really wanted the ar15 when she is home alone.
If she's looking for something for home alone protection, get her a 12 gauge pump action shot gun. In most cases all she will need to do is yell, who's there, and work the action, if things go down hill she has the beat self defense weapon available.
Make sure she knows how to use it.
If she's looking for something in the concealed carry line a 380 acp or small frame 38 S&W would probably be best. Once again, make sure she can and will use it , when things go south.
Remember, what is worse than no firearm, when one is needed, is a firearm that is visible but the person who is holding it is afraid to use it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Have a look at the Chiappa Rhino 200DS comes in .357, .40 S&W, and 9x21. This is a revolver but the barrel is aligned with the bottom most chamber of the cylinder which provides less recoil. I've seen grannies comment on the lack of recoil on the firearm.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I agree on a .38 but with some of the new light ones recoil can be a bit much.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My friend is going through this process with his wife right now. He went to a range where he could rent the guns and buy the ammo. She shot a bunch of different 38s and such but finally settled on a SW revolver in 357 (can shoot 38s) don't know the model but it has a 3 inch barrel. Only he ended up with pink crimson trace grips. Lol. Lesson is make sure you have her shoot first and get her something she is comfortable with and she is likely to practice with it and carry it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I keep my 10 gauge next to the bed for her to do the same thing if the circumstance arises, unless I'm taking it for a walk then she has to deal with the 12 gauge
Coureur De Bois said:
TEE said:
My wife did good with the glock 19 but really wanted the ar15 when she is home alone.
If she's looking for something for home alone protection, get her a 12 gauge pump action shot gun. In most cases all she will need to do is yell, who's there, and work the action, if things go down hill she has the beat self defense weapon available.
Make sure she knows how to use it.
If she's looking for something in the concealed carry line a 380 acp or small frame 38 S&W would probably be best. Once again, make sure she can and will use it , when things go south.
Remember, what is worse than no firearm, when one is needed, is a firearm that is visible but the person who is holding it is afraid to use it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
My wife looked at all compact conceal carries ...Beretta Nano, Ruger P's 9mm & 380, Smith & Wesson body guard 380, Shield & she settled on Sig P238 in 380...
She bought & shot 50 rounds of junk ammo it performed extremely well...
Accurate out of box Out to 25 yards real sites are 1st rate...trigger pull & break & hand balance is outstanding.. Recoil is very manageable...easily concealed & accessed
Great firearm.. Based on 1911 system... She also has a 9mm Lady S/W...

·
Banned
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the input from everybody - I am not aware of any locations nearby where i could get different calibers in her hand.

we have a 12 gauge with buckshot in the bedroom... so it s here, what we are looking for is something for concealed carry.

Courier - to your point, I agree 100% - but I dont know that we know until the time comes. I have never been in the situation myself, but i am confident that I would if i had to defend myself, my family, or others. I would hope she wouldnt freeze up, and i hope i will never know the answer to it either.

My thinking with the air lite 38 over a semi is that there would be one less step (chambering the round) than the semi. on the flip side someone noted the jump in the recoil with the lighter frame... I want her to be comfortable and not anticipate... she didnt mind the 38 load out of my 357, of course heavier frame...

still thinking what to do, I wanted it to be a surprise, but then again maybe i need her to feel the frame, the grips, the weight.,.. thanks again all for giving me another perspective...

·
Registered
838 Posts
For home defense, my wife has a 38SP Smith M&P that she shoots really well. A little unhandy for CC though.

She has a Bersa 380 Thuder for CC, but can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. So we are still working on the ideal CC.

She likes to shoot my 9MM, but again to large for her to CC. She does not care for shotguns so that option is out.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
If you go with a .38 ultralite like a Taurus Model 85UL or S&W, go with the low recoil Personal Defense .38 rounds. I think Federal makes them in 110 gr. HydroShocks I've shot them and they are pretty gentle. Another option is to reload some light loads or have someone who reloads load some light loads. I think the .38 revolver is a good way to go because of its simpicity.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I purchased a Taurus 357 snub nosed revolver for my wife for her protection whether it is in her car or home. I really liked the point and shoot of single or double action. I thought the semi auto actions were stiff and the safe awkward.
My plan is let her shoot 38 specials.
Now I am looking to enroll her in a handgun class, I am not sure how much she will listen to me after 18yrs of marriage....LOL
Good Luck on your search/purchase!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts