The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am completely stumped on which radio to buy. Motorola, Midland, Cobra???? all have poor reviews and all have good reviews. So which is the best buy?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
We have cobras and like them. I have had issues in the past connecting them with the motorolas. One thing you have to remember is if your on the side of a mountain and your buddy is on the other side in the valley your gonna have a hard time getting him/her no matter what brand you have. A lot of people complain about their talkies and how they are junk but never take in account the terrain which will play a huge factor on how well or poorly they will work

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Garmin Rino series GPS's have built in raidos ,they work good and they will show you where the other person is .
I use the 120 rino model the radio works great on it

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
We use Midland and have had little problems with them. When we DID this past fall, they exchanged them with an UPGRADE! No questions asked!!! WATERPROOF 36 mile range... (Which drops to 1/2 mile in the mountains) 3 yr manf. warranty.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
OLD BLUE said:
Our cobras outreach the motorolas,,,,,
Amen brotha!....And much more "user friendly" too...That is, they don't have as many useless features as the rest...Midlands are the worst.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the Midlands and if I had to do it again, I'd get something else. I hate the push button volume control. I can't get it low enough for sitting in a quiet woods. I would get a model with a knob volume control.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Big Ken said:
OLD BLUE said:
Our cobras outreach the motorolas,,,,,
Amen brotha!....And much more "user friendly" too...That is, they don't have as many useless features as the rest...Midlands are the worst.
I'll never buy Midlands again. Second pair can't talk to the first pair I bought and just way too many useless settings.

All I want is a simple pair of radios, with 5 watts of power.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
I've had Motorolas and one pair of Midlands. All still work fine, even the original pair of FRS Motorolas. Despite the terrain where I hunt in 3A, I've had no problems talking to people several miles and several ridges distant.

Last year we hosted a huge NFAA national tournament at our club and parked about 350 vehicles, using radios to direct the parking chores. Worst problem? Guys that had their radio on the right channel, but forgot the minor detail about "subcodes". Two guys were on the right channel, but didn't reset the code.

My original Motorolas didn't have rechargeable batteries, but my newer ones do and work great. If ya remember to put 'em back in the charger each night.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I use motorola and love them. I have one cobra and like the unit, but it is easier to find headsets and motorola accessories in stores than it is to find stuff that fits cobra. That is what helped me to make my mind up.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've had the same set of cobras since 1996. Still using them after all the bad weather they have been thru. I can tell you that when they go I will purchase another cobra.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I've had and used both midland and Motorola, but the fairly cheap models. The Motorola's have more features and have been used mainly just for hunting season for the past 8 years.

·
Registered
212 Posts
motorola talkabouts . i think they are the best i have used them for years no problems

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
One thing to remember is once the leaves fall from the trees all radios will have much better reception range. I use the motorola talk about radios on the FRS frequencies.I bought a new pair with the GMRS frequencies and for some reason do not work as good as the FRS frequencies.If you want a good pair cheap get on EBAY and get them at half price.You really only need on with FRS frequencies which are good out to 10 miles or so.I have been on the backside top of one mountain and talked to my father on the frontside of the next mountain 3 miles away and its like your standing beside them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts