The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im 19 almost 20 and looking to try to buy a handgun. I have read on some other forums that you can buy one at my age from a private party and then do the transfer via sheriff dept. But the sheriff hasnt got back to me yet and all the ffl`s in the area say it cant be done. Is there anyone else that has done somthing like this or know of ANY dealers in pa that would do the transfer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya thats what iv been hearing from ffl`s but iv been on several state websites that say you could get one private party at 18, and my parents dont really want to buy me a handgun even though they already bought me a shotgun and 22, i was just wandering if anyone else had any experiance with this situation and how they went about it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya thats what iv been hearing from ffl`s but iv been on several state websites that say you could get one private party at 18, and my parents dont really want to buy me a handgun even though they already bought me a shotgun and 22, i was just wandering if anyone else had any experiance with this situation and how they went about it

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No, you cannot buy a handgun from a private party at 18yoa. Both the buyer and seller can be prosecuted. It would be a bad start to try to find a way to circumvent the law and it could affect your rights ot own a gun in the future if you get caught. Wait until you are old enough.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
Four replies have given you the answer to your question.

NO, YOU CANNOT LEGALLY PURCHASE A HANDGUN IN PA UNTIL YOU ARE 21!

Now make it FIVE!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
The true and correct answer is;

By law, you have to be 21 to "buy" a handgun from a FFL dealer; 18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(1).

You can be 18 and buy it from another person (private sale), however the transfer must be done at the sheriff's departments, not a FFL. Good luck finding a sheriff's department willing to do it.

Of course, being under 21, you won't be able to buy "handgun" ammo!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What site can i go to that isnt a forum to find the laws on this and how would the best way to contact the sheriff through email?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts