The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading up there in a few weeks. Plan on parking along Red Ridge Road and hiking south on Twin Sisters Trail about 4 miles. Set up base camp and bushwacking around from there.

Has anyone ever hiked the Twin Sisters trail???

I've read that it's not maintained and can be hard to follow....
Any info on the trail or area would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I can't say for sure if it was done last summer, but it was cleared top to bottom at least once each of the previous 3 years

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Tracker,I parked at Crossfork and hiked from there to Prouty Place . If I remember correctly Twin Sisters is part of the Susquehannock Trail System and you can hike over to Hammersley Wild Area which is a BEAUTIFUL section with native Brook trout to grab a dry fly . Very nice trek . Have a nice time....Finn

·
Registered
183 Posts
I hike the whole length of twin sisters trail from red ridge road to cross fork every bear season.. it gets hard to follow after you get through the "burn area"; which is a nickname for elk lick knob, the site of a massive forest fire in the 1960's...the trees never grew back, so its a whole hillside of switchgrass..beautiful view from that point.. but anyways, the trail is marked with new paint of a new color every year , but i doubt it will be done this early.. the marks were yellow dots on the trees to follow the twin sisters trail, if you start at red ridge and hike down, the trail rides the top of the ridges, so if you break east you will end up in elk lick hollow, and if you break west you will end up in hammersly fork. i believe hammersly fork starts right at the base of the "burn area".. definetly stop in at kinneys store in cross fork and spend the $10 on a topo of the short run quadrangle. it has everything you will be exploring along TSS. have fun & take a fly rod !

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

Bassbucks69,
Great info and you confirmed what I had heard and read....from red ridge to elk lick knob (about 2 miles?) the trail is nice but after its iffy. Thanks.

Is there room to park a car or two near the twin sisters trail head on red ridge road??
Any worries about theft or vandalism parking in the area??

Thanks again

·
Registered
183 Posts
yes, its about 2 miles from the red ridge parking area to elk lick knob.. theres room for probably ten to twelve cars at the trailhead on red ridge, and I would highly doubt any chance of vandalism.. ive parked there for two days before and it was fine. even during hunting season when the place is more crowded . if you have some hiking experience you should be fine navigating the TS trail with a good topo and compass !

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Your biggest problem with your parked vehicle will probably be porkies. I spotlighted Red Ridge last summer and they were everywhere!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
You are correct about the porcupines . My brother had wires chewed and had to splice them . I have heard of spreading moth balls around the vehicle to deter them .

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info bassbucks.

Yeah I heard the porcupines can be destructive. I've heard of people laying down a tarp and then driving on it and then wrapping the car up in the tarp like a present to keep them from chewing on the tires and wires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tracker,
The trail was freshly marked with yellow blazes, 2" by 6" in mid-July of 2012. As some have mentioned when you get approximately 2 miles out the trail from Red Ridge, it becomes less of a path and the various colored paint will end, however the yellow blazes will continue until you hit the STS trail. At this location, the trail was re-routed from what it shows on most maps as the heavy laurel has overtaken the original trail. Good luck, that is a great area to spend a few days!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm really hoping there will still be snow.

I built a pulk sled and just got everything finished up.
Was going to just use rope to pull it but made a set of poles and got a hip belt.
Got to try it out last week with the rope (pic)....it's snowing right now, got an inch or two so far and I hope I can try it out with the poles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts