The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of backpacking the Hammersley, anyone ever do a hiking trip back there, from the looks of things there could be some bushwacking involved.

·
Registered
18,921 Posts
I hiked back in there many years ago to fish some of the feeder streams to Hammersley run. Pretty rugged country. We camped a few days in there and flyfished for native brookies.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The Susquehannock Trail goes right through there . I too hiked in from Twin Sisters trail . Saw a dandy bear and caught and released plenty of brookies !

·
Registered
942 Posts
No bush whacking unless you want to take the short cut to Hammersly Pool from the top of the mountain. If you decide to do that hang a left at the cairn and find the old log skidder trench. Follow it down to the creek then follow the creek to Hammersly Pool. Wear long pants while bush wacking. The nettles are thick.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I was thinking about doing a few miles around the trail head in Cross Fork. I see that the parking area is "in town" and the trail is across the street.

Is parking area or trail head difficult to find?

·
Registered
306 Posts
TPR, as you no doubt know, Cross Fork is a small place. I can't say for certain, but it would be hard for me to imagine that either the parking area or the trail-head would be difficult to find!

·
Registered
18,921 Posts
Come in from the backside south of Wharton Pa into the headwaters if you want a true wilderness and bushwhacking adventure. That is how we came in.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All the talk of the stinging nettles scared me' ended up doing 14 miles on the OLP.

·
Registered
18,921 Posts
Jumptrap said:
DMPS, how many miles is it from the Wharton side into the headwaters of the Hammersley?
It has been a while before I was in there. We parked off of McConell road and used topo maps to head into the Nelson Branch. I don't think it was more than a mile or two before we hit a feeder stream and worked our way downstream to some bigger water.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Ghost said:
All the talk of the stinging nettles scared me' ended up doing 14 miles on the OLP.
You must have camped at Yellow Dog Run . Absolutely beautiful swimming hole !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts