The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Hammered or hammerless?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Harrysigafoo 
#1 ·
Which do you prefer in a carry handgun and why?

#2 ·
I have a S&W 642 hammerles because I don't want it to snag on clothing. Also, in a self defense situation my construct would be that the attacker/s are going to be so close that I can smell what they had for lunch. No time for fine shooting and aimed shots.

#3 ·
I'll toss in a vote for models with hammers.
I have a little Taurus 85 with a hammer but have been shopping for a semi. I like a hammer there too, so I have settled on a Sig Pro in 40 caliber (Single/Double action).

The why falls into the same reasons as lazer sights or racking a shotgun slide. It give whatever it is threatening you one last chance to begin think rationally.

#4 ·
I don't care for hammerless guns or DAO. IMO the triggers are too hard. I do like some of the guns that have a modified trigger. I forget the make and models, but the trigger is very low profile.

I also agree with the last statement Hodgen made. Just the sound would cause an intruder to leave. Course the universal sound of a pump shotgun would have the biggest and most dramatic effect.

#6 ·
For a self defense carry - I would go with hammerless everytime, 100% if you plan to paocket or cargo pocket carry at all.

For a field companion gun when hiking/fishing/boating - I like a hammer.

Hence the reason I own both a S&W 642 and Taurus 85

#7 ·
Ciscokid55 said:
...in a carry handgun...
Mine has a hammer, but only because it is a 1911 and carried with the hammer cocked. With it carried that way, the hammer is actually laying in the beavertail, and thus not prone to catch on anything.

If I was to carry anything else, with the hammer in a normally forward position while carrying, I would prefer hammerless. Less chance to snag on the draw.

#8 ·
I have CCW in auto and revolvers, both hammer and hammerlesss. The hammerless is clearly easier to carry and get into action fastest.

small short pistols are difficult to shoot double action, but can be accurate if LOTS of practice is taken.

Again, defensive shooting will be under 10 foot, so a "belly gun" is ok.

Hammerless for CCW, hammer for all round use( plinking, target, hunting, defense)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.