The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hearing rumors that the steelers hired todd haley as the next oc....

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Good........this is what I wanted to see....

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Me too. He doesn't try to fit square pegs into round holes. Ben won't be a stat machine anymore, but he may not get pounded every week anymore, either.

And we'll have us a real fullback.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Haley was an offensive coordinator for two seasons in Arizona. Arizona was near the bottom of the league with 25.1, and 22.6 rushing attempts per game in 07, and 08. but, their passing offense was one of the best in the league in 2008. And that took the Cardinals to the Super Bowl.

As the Head Coach in KC they certainly went with a run first philosophy 2009 - 27.4, 2010 - 33.8, and 2011 - 30.44 attempts per game. But, KC did not score more points than the Steelers in any of the three years Healy was at the helm. I'm just not sure this is the guy. But, only time will tell.

We'll see what happens when/if he comes to Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
One thing in Haley's favor--no pressure. He can't possibly be worse than the last guy. I would hope just about any OC could help us be better than 22nd in points, 14th in rushing, and 10th in passing. Thank god that the defense was 1st in points, pass yards, and total yards, and a still respectable 8th in rushing yards. This team would have been DOA. With Wallace, Brown, Ben, Pouncey and <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Redman</span> Spinderella, the offense should at the bare minimum be able to hold up its end of the bargain without needing the defense to continually get turnovers. If your offensive game plan involved your defense getting turnovers, or worse, scoring points themselves, you are in deep trouble.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
eddie spaghetti said:
Haley was an offensive coordinator for two seasons in Arizona. Arizona was near the bottom of the league with 25.1, and 22.6 rushing attempts per game in 07, and 08. but, their passing offense was one of the best in the league in 2008. And that took the Cardinals to the Super Bowl.

As the Head Coach in KC they certainly went with a run first philosophy 2009 - 27.4, 2010 - 33.8, and 2011 - 30.44 attempts per game. But, KC did not score more points than the Steelers in any of the three years Healy was at the helm. I'm just not sure this is the guy. But, only time will tell.

We'll see what happens when/if he comes to Pittsburgh.
Haley had Tyler Palko in KC, not Ben Roethlisberger. Slight talent difference there. In Arizona, he had Warner and Fitz. The pass offense had better be very good with those two. This team should be very, very balanced. That will help Ben stay healthy, and probably help the line do the same. Longer time in pass protection invites more o line injuries. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, POUNCEY, ICE THE ANKLE THIS OFFSEASON!!

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
steelerfan58 said:
One thing in Haley's favor--no pressure. He can't possibly be worse than the last guy. I would hope just about any OC could help us be better than 22nd in points, 14th in rushing, and 10th in passing. Thank god that the defense was 1st in points, pass yards, and total yards, and a still respectable 8th in rushing yards. This team would have been DOA. With Wallace, Brown, Ben, Pouncey and Redman Spinderella, the offense should at the bare minimum be able to hold up its end of the bargain without needing the defense to continually get turnovers. If your offensive game plan involved your defense getting turnovers, or worse, scoring points themselves, you are in deep trouble.
Say what you want, but as an offensive coordinator, BA has one more SB win than Haley. So, Haley has something to prove. No doubt the Steeler problem lately was scoring touchdowns. Some of that will be solved if they can put a healthy cohesive offensive line on the field for 16 games next season.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
"In Arizona, he had Warner and Fitz. The pass offense had better be very good with those two." You don't think the current Steeler offensive weapons are good enough to match up? Not man for man, but as a unit, this group is pretty good.

But, your point is, you gotta play to your strength. In KC Haley ran the ball because that was their strength. In Arizona the strength was the pass. If you could objectively look at the Steeler roster, you would realize this team is currently built for the passing game. Again, a lot of that comes down to the o-line. If Willie Colon comes back, and stays healthy, maybe we'll have a running game.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
eddie spaghetti said:
"In Arizona, he had Warner and Fitz. The pass offense had better be very good with those two." You don't think the current Steeler offensive weapons are good enough to match up? Not man for man, but as a unit, this group is pretty good.

But, your point is, you gotta play to your strength. In KC Haley ran the ball because that was their strength. In Arizona the strength was the pass. If you could objectively look at the Steeler roster, you would realize this team is currently built for the passing game. Again, a lot of that comes down to the o-line. If Willie Colon comes back, and stays healthy, maybe we'll have a running game.
I think they are good enough that they can win with the pass.if the run is taken away, sometimes. I want balance. Not this 3 and out for 3 straight series, then a 70 yard bomb to Wallace, a sack on first down, a 4 yard run, then another sack that leads to a field goal. Control the clock and play physical football. In other words, play like the Steelers are supposed to play, and quit trying to be the Colts and Patriots. Neither of them are winning anything these days. As far as the run--do what Belichik would do, and play the best player, regardless of whether he's a 1st rounder from Illinois or a UDFA from Bowie State. Seemed that Redman was better, behind that exact same line that Mendenhall can't run behind.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
eddie spaghetti said:
Ben is better than Warner. Wallace is not nearly as good as Fitz, and in the red zone, comparing any of our current players to Larry Fitzgerald is like comparing a 73 Pinto resting on blocks to a Ferrari. If Ward goes, I am worried that our receivers won't be blocking anymore, and really concerned that none of them will bring that kind of thunder to the task.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
If Ward goes, I am worried that our receivers won't be blocking anymore, and really concerned that none of them will bring that kind of thunder to the task.
I think that he will take a big enough cut, that they keep him around, as they should....it's not like he can't play the game anymore ya know.......

As far as Haley, I am fine with throwing the ball 30+ times a game, as long as they are short meticulous passing plays.....not west coast per se, but something that you can keep the ball moving and manage the clock with......not 1 80 ysrd bomb down field, that leads to a field goal because you cant throw a hail mary from the 20.....As long as they get someone who can actually play fullback and keep Mendenhall off of the field, the running game would be fairly good with the line that they have.......

I have absolutely no problem throwing the ball 30" times a game as long as it leads to long time consuming drives, eats the clock away, and puts 7 points on the scoreboard......as long as they can run the ball fairly well when they need to...IE second half to put the game away......

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> Given the situation in KC w/ Scott P. and the loss of some pretty high profile players....

I'm going to give Haley a wait and see attitude....

Pittsburgh knows what issues need addressed.....O & D lines need updated for sure...Defensive backfield needs tweaked...Mendenhall's career is headed downhill w/ the ACL tear...

Coach T & the Rooney's have their fingers on the pulse of this Steelers team....Draft day will tell another story for sure....</span>

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
I'd say the D line definitely needs updated, but they have been addressing that. With Hood and Heyward, the ends should be just fine, but getting a stalwart at NT is critical for the 3-4 to work. The O line doesn't need updated as much as it needs talent, old or new. I can live with Starks and Colon at tackle, if they would stay healthy. I think we'd all agree that center is staffed pretty well. The situation at both guard positions, however, is at critical levels. When Legursky is your best option at guard, you need help. A fullback will help, since he would lead the way through the line, but he won't be an offensive lineman. The DB situation is like the guard situation, and I include the safeties in that. Ike, the Denver game notwithstanding, can manage, but the combination of Willie Gay, Bryant Mcfadden and some guy named Harry on the other side won't get it done. The safeties are excellent, but aging and Troy is injury prone now. A project safety would not be a bad idea in the draft. Linebacker is one of these things that we can go out to the garden and get, it seems, so I wouldn't worry much about whether the Steelers will have decent linebackers. Jack Lambert lives an hour from Pittsburgh, and he doesn't allow the linebackers to play poorly. Making Jack angry is not a good idea, ask Cliff Harris.

·
4,229 Posts
I am glad to hear about Haley, I hope it becomes official today. One thing about him is that he seems to know how to play his strengths. When he had no run game he had a good pass offense when he had no pass game he had a good rush offense. With the Steelers he should finally be able to have some balance. It will, and should be, still heavier on the pass but he will balance it out better.

Like I said before though, if they don't fix the o-line it doesn't matter who the OC is. Even Emmitt Smith needed someone to open up a hole and Peyton Manning doesn't have to run and shoot because he has a consistant pocket. I agree that the tackle play of Starks is sufficient and Colon is ok too IF he can stay healthy. Center is of course good too. Those Guards are awful and if the Steelers don't get at least one capable starter in the middle linebackers will shoot A Gaps all day.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Watching Hynoski bull over the Patsies last Sunday made me recall fondly the days when the Steelers had a real FB. Maybe now we can have one again.

I just hope Haley doesn't abandon the bubble screen. That play almost worked once.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Haleys hiring is called nepotism, he has a lazy work ethic as told by most players that have worked with him, he's a yeller and will not work well with Ben.Most player dont respect coaches that have never played in the league.He is however a decent golfer,and upper st. clair native.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Ben won a SB with Wisenhunt doing the same thing. Ben IS NOT THE BOSS!! Should he have input? Yes, but he should not be dictating the entire offensive philosophy. Tomlin never played in the league. Though I do think that the players respect him less than they did Cowher, they do respect him. If I recall, Cowher would go off now and then too. But he seemed to do OK.

·
4,229 Posts
steelerfan58 said:
Ben won a SB with Wisenhunt doing the same thing. Ben IS NOT THE BOSS!! Should he have input? Yes, but he should not be dictating the entire offensive philosophy. Tomlin never played in the league. Though I do think that the players respect him less than they did Cowher, they do respect him. If I recall, Cowher would go off now and then too. But he seemed to do OK.
I would argree with this except I am not sure any of us can say the players respect Tomlin a little less then Cowher. It is apples to oranges really. Clearly Tomlin and Cowher had different systems and most importantly different players. Players today are tougher to deal with (i.e. arrests, social media, etc.) and Cowher didn't have to deal with much of that (not that he didn't or couldn't just wasn't as prevelant)

I think players overall treat their coaches differently in today's NFL. There is something they aren't being taught either at home or in the NCAA. I won't speak of anyones home life but the NCAA is a mess. The way coaches bounce around (i.e. Saban and Graham). Players don't get the stability and legacy that players used to get under Paterno, Bowden, Osborne, etc. When coaches are around long periods of time and build a legacy of teams that are winners on and OFF the field then the players are easier to coach/handle (IMO) on the grand scale of the NFL.

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
BuckRub00 said:
Haleys hiring is called nepotism, he has a lazy work ethic as told by most players that have worked with him, he's a yeller and will not work well with Ben.Most player dont respect coaches that have never played in the league.He is however a decent golfer,and upper st. clair native.
Well, as long as he can golf, we're OK.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts