The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty. I guess this is more or less an opinion type thread. My 50 cal. Traditions has a rear set trigger, and the hairiest front trigger I've ever come across. It's cost me more than one Deer by touching off prior to my actually being ready. So I'll ask preferences. Do you mostly like a set/hair type of mechanism. Do some of you just adjust the front trigger to a preferred pull and use it, thus, skipping the set ? Do some keep the set/hair, but adjust the pull a bit higher to make it less "hairy" ? I'm planning on trying some different things off the bench the next couple weeks and would like to hear opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I NEVER set that hair unless I'm raising to shoot. I swear, a stiff breeze can pop that off.

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
It took a while, but I finally got mine adjusted to my liking, and now use it with each opportunity. I do wear gloves, but have the kind with fingers only to the first knuckle, with a mitten end which I can move out of the way quickly.

I found gloves and set triggers don't get along all that well.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The set Trigger on my take to the shoot Flinter is set very light. My Hunting gun, Frankenstein, has a single Trigger with a wide trigger guard and probably a 5lb. pull.. Works well as to accidental discharging.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I have a pistol with a .2 oz trigger pull. Takes some getting used to, not for everyone.

If you practice and are accustomed to them, you wonder why anybody would want standard trigger. If you are not accustomed to them, they are scary. Keep your finger out of the "bow" until ready to fire. They are not like some triggers that can start putting on pressure before you are finished aiming.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
i learned NEVER to wear a glove on my shooting hand thicker than the under armor material..thats all i wear on my shooting hand if i need a glove on..tight fitting and enough to keep the breeze from killing my hand..

buddies pushed me a group of doe one year..got on a big one..cracked back the hammer..set the hair trigger and KABOOOM! scared me and the deer half to death! lol clean miss just over her back..had a regular glove on at the time and when i set the hair trigger and went to pull my finger out the glove tip must have bumped the hair trigger..

once you get used to them, i cant shoot a flinter without it..the trigger pull on my TC with the regular trigger is down right ridiculous...

·
Banned
900 Posts
I love my set trigger on my Lyman GP. the bear I shot in august was at about 25yds. and was shoulder deep on the bait barrel. I pulled the set trigger and he backed out the barrel and looked right at me before running off. He returned about 20 minutes later......he never heard the hammer fallin!!

I wish there was a way to quiet the set trigger down a bit though.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I have set triggers on most of my smoke poles, I really like them alot.

The longrifle that I use flinter hunting has set triggers, same with the percussion, when the sight picture is right I "Slap" the trigger.

I very very rarely wear a glove on my shooting hand and my finger doesn't go inside the guard until I'm ready to fire.

As with anything, with practice it becomes a habit and you never even think about the process.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts