The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a deer hide turned into a rug about 5 years ago. It never gets walked on it just sits at the base of my gun cabinet for decoration. Well recently Me and the wife have been noticing deer hair laying around it and a lot of it. The hair seems to be falling out of it. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening or slow it down?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Need a little more info for an accurate answer. Do you have pets? Cats and sometimes dogs LOVE to play with skins.
Was the skin tanned by a reputable taxidermist using a reputable tannery or was it "home tanned"? Do you see any evidence of dermestids around the skin? It'll look like sawdust or you might see the dried skins from the larvae. Are the hairs actually falling out from the root or are they just breaking off? You should be able to see the root if they are actually falling out.

5 years is not too "old" for a tanned rug-type skin however, keep in mind that deer hair is hollow and is very prone to breakage which often results in the appearance of hair "falling out".

I know I asked a lot more questions than I answered but perhaps you can make a better assessment now that you know some things to look for.

Let us know.

Paul

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pets EVER. All I know is the taxidermist sent it away to get tanned. The 2 deer heads he did for me are holding up good. The skin looks clean no dermestids and the hairs are mixed. Some have roots, others do not.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It sounds like normal wear then Uncysid. Although it does seem a bit excessive. You might try taking it outside and giving it a good shake and then bring it back in but put it in a different area of the house. If it was near a heat source the hollow hairs will get very brittle very quickly.
You might also consider taking it back to the taxidermist that did it---he can tell by looking at MUCH better than I can by reading....LOL.
Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts