The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one? Have heard and read they are hard to learn but if ya get it they are awesome. See a few on eBay

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I never got the tongue flutter to sound like anything. I run it with a "chucka chucka chucka......." and it sounds the most authentic to me of any gobbler call I've ever used. I have the wood barrel.
The funny thing is that my kids all got a free plastic duck call at an outdoors show we went to. Once they were done blowing on them for hours on end, I grabbed one and gave it a good "chucka chucka chucka....." and it sounded pretty darn good. A little higher pitch than the Haint, but still had that gobble cadence to it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I'm with you Moss. Quite frankly I think too many guys are looking for the panacea of turkey calls and would be better off just using a few...and learning to use them well. I don't use any gobbler calls...basically my spring calling consists of yelps, clucks, purrs and cutts...on calls I can use well and sound turkey.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I've never called a bird in specifically with a gobble call, but i have a few other tricks up my sleeve that have worked insanely well when traditional calls and tactics have failed.

I've had stubborn birds come running in tripping over their beards to a fighting purr. One bird in particular I had gobbling all morning in the thick woods, saw him multiple times by himself, and he just refused to commit to me. I was running out of time....like just a few minutes left until noon. Out of frustration more than anything else I opened up with a very loud and aggressive fighting purr. He came running in so fast I had a hard time drawing a bead on his head.

I had one leave his harem of hens and come running in to what I termed from that day on as a "Jerkin' Jake" call. I saw this bird a few days before chasing off a group of jakes. He ran over a really laid a flogging on one that had the nerve to masturbate in front of his ladies. I was laughing so hard I almost couldn't shoot him.

I had a group of 7 jakes that had me pegged from about 80 yards out and across some high grass. The trouble is that I wanted to get out of there and they wouldn't leave, so i decided to scare them off with my rendition of the Squealing Hen call that was all over the commercials that year. I popped a mouth call in and did a very shrill, trembling squeal that probably sounded more like a dying rabbit than anything else. Low and behold those Jakes gang gobbled and charged across the tall grass right up to the edge of the woods. They ended up right in my lap staring right at me and still refused to leave until I waved my hands in front of my face.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
I think a good tube call makes a pretty good gobble....heck I can even make a pretty good one on a wingbone, but in all the turkey hunting I've done, I just don't have much use for a gobble. I have tried it many times as a last ditch effort and can't say I was ever successful with it. I actually use a gobble more in the fall than in the spring, often at the end of a jake kee kee.
It's one of those calls that if only works once or twice in your life and you end up with a bird, it's worth it!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,195 Posts
what about just shaking some dried corn in a can ? good way to find out of the neighbors are baiting :)
I don't know if the corn rattling in a can will work of not but, I can tell you that one of those hanging commercial feeders that throws corn out on a timer does. I was once checking on a report of hunters baiting with a commercial feeder hanging from a tree. I found the feeder and was taking evidence pictures of it when it came on an started spinning corn out onto the ground. Before it shut off over twenty turkeys came running out through the woods directly to it.

I ended up making several good arrests there the following weekend. Not for shooting turkeys though. It was archery season and there was a whole family group surrounding the feeder archery hunting.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
I don't know if the corn rattling in a can will work of not but, I can tell you that one of those hanging commercial feeders that throws corn out on a timer does. I was once checking on a report of hunters baiting with a commercial feeder hanging from a tree. I found the feeder and was taking evidence pictures of it when it came on an started spinning corn out onto the ground. Before it shut off over twenty turkeys came running out through the woods directly to it.

I ended up making several good arrests there the following weekend. Not for shooting turkeys though. It was archery season and there was a whole family group surrounding the feeder archery hunting.

Dick Bodenhorn
Yep,another example on how Turkey,s can,t reason things out like some people on here think. ;)🙄 :whistle::eek::D

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I have been hunting and killing gobblers since 1976, Have yet to fine a need for a gobble call.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
To me a gobble call sounds like a dangerous idea. I wouldn't use one simply because I would not want to risk being stalked!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts