The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my cabelas Hawken rifle that I built from a kit for 9 years. I had to put a williams fiber optic sight on it because I messed it up when I built the rifle. Didn't really want it.

Anyway I've been shooting 75 grains of powder (3f) with 200 gr Nosler 44 pistol bullets and harvester sabots for almost all that time. They have always shot the same to 50 yards. Never had to move the sights after initial sight in back in the day.

I was out the other day, and was hitting consistantly 4-5 inches to the right. I adjusted the rear sight, and it's hitting right on again. I don't see how I could have possibly moved the sight since the last time I shot.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them before?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jim stemler said:
stock moisture content
I was sorta thinking that, but I have shot that gun in all types of weather conditions with no changes. Everything from freezing cold and dry to having high heat and humidity.

·
Banned
2,639 Posts
fiber optic sight on a hawken flinter ....to me thats like putting a dress on john wayne ....just will never look right..

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coyoterook said:
fiber optic sight on a hawken flinter ....to me thats like putting a dress on john wayne ....just will never look right..
Your right. It don't look right, and I don't like it. I got them because the sights that were on it had some issues (my fault).

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
AgesofDays said:
all the time, seems like every year the point of impact moves and I could never figure it out
Yea----Age! Getting older stinks. I spent the day at the range Monday......Thought something might be off a tad on my sights so I started at 25 yards----Great groups! Out to 50 and I noticed the ball wasnt where I shot??? 8 more shots and not a great group??? Then it hit me---Im right eye dominant and I had a childhood accident leaving that eye slightly scratched---I then put out a target that showes bright green and orange where the hole is-----Has a green bulls eye-----I closed my left eye and could no longer see the green 1 inch center dot!
I could see great with the left eye! I shoot with both eyes open so that helped a little but at almost 46 Im off to the doctors to get a physical since I am the only one on both sides of the family without diabetes...Hope that is still true. I also have to go to the optometrist and hopefully get a pair of glasses that will give me back what I lost. This stinks!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Bunky I was there yesterday. I was always right eye dominant. A head to head in rugby last summer knocked some crap off my retina(thats technical talk). I get some blurin and the fuzzys at times. I now own my first set of glasses at 48. Meanwhile my left eye has become dominate. Sometimes when focusing at up close things, like sights, my right eye will take over again.
Unless I shoot with one eye I need to switch to lefty.
Peep sights have made a big difference. They make the 50 yarder easier to see and hit.
Stinks maybe but we should be thankful. My youngest doesn't have my vision with glasses. Besides do you really wanta see all those ugly faces come late season?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
LOL-----I got an appointment today---I guess it will be no different if I wear glasses like the safety glasses I wear when Im at the range.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
True that, I have been wearing glasses since the 4th grade. I am so jelous of people who have perfect vision

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
brewyak said:
True that, I have been wearing glasses since the 4th grade. I am so jelous of people who have perfect vision
Last time I got my eyes checked I had 20/17 vision......with a BAD hangover. Everything looked so blurry I thought I was going to fail, but I was told it was better than 20/20. Go figure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts