The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year I’m going to hunt with a muzzleloader. I’ve been trying to get it sighted in, last week I ran out of daylight on a work night. Today I took it out to my friends farm and got the first shot in. It was shooting high, so I adjusted the sight. Put a patch and ball in and wouldn’t you know it I forgot to put the powder in. UGH! So I took the ramrod out put the ball puller on and commenced to pull the ball out. It wouldn’t come so I worked at it some more. Well, somehow I ended up breaking the ramrod inside the barrel. I thought now what the heck am I going to do!!! I was freaking out so I called a friend and he walked me through shooting it out. I was amazed that sucker flew out of the barrel. Lol now I feel a little better now that it came out. My friend is going to bring a ramrod out for me tomorrow to use until I get another one. I found one online and ordered it. Lesson learned, the hard way.

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
This is my first year I’m going to hunt with a muzzleloader. I’ve been trying to get it sighted in, last week I ran out of daylight on a work night. Today I took it out to my friends farm and got the first shot in. It was shooting high, so I adjusted the sight. Put a patch and ball in and wouldn’t you know it I forgot to put the powder in. UGH! So I took the ramrod out put the ball puller on and commenced to pull the ball out. It wouldn’t come so I worked at it some more. Well, somehow I ended up breaking the ramrod inside the barrel. I thought now what the heck am I going to do!!! I was freaking out so I called a friend and he walked me through shooting it out. I was amazed that sucker flew out of the barrel. Lol now I feel a little better now that it came out. My friend is going to bring a ramrod out for me tomorrow to use until I get another one. I found one online and ordered it. Lesson learned, the hard way.

Wow, that would about freak ya out, I'll say. Glad you got it out.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Moss I'll bet every one of us has dry balled a rifle like that at some point. I know I have. Flintlocks can make ya nuts sometimes. And the learning curve is lllloooonnnggg.

Shoot a deer with one and your hooked for life. I was hooked the first time I got the dang thing to go off. Never looked back.:smile_big:

Reactions: blackpowder

·
Registered
19,116 Posts
i found out early that flintlocks are not for me. i had two doe feeding about 50 yards out, i used a tree for support, carefully aimed, and heard pfffffttttt-ta, no boom. i waited in case of a hang fire and no boom. i figured i needed more powder in the pan....loaded that sucker and tried it again....this time i didnt hear anything, i just saw what looked like a bolt of lightning followed by what sounded like a cannon going off, followed by tons of smoke.

when everything cleared i heard some distant laughter. it was buddy who was bowhunting from a treestand almost 100 yards away. he said it looked like i blew myself up. those deer disappeared too. i have no idea where they went. :)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
i found out early that flintlocks are not for me. i had two doe feeding about 50 yards out, i used a tree for support, carefully aimed, and heard pfffffttttt-ta, no boom. i waited in case of a hang fire and no boom. i figured i needed more powder in the pan....loaded that sucker and tried it again....this time i didnt hear anything, i just saw what looked like a bolt of lightning followed by what sounded like a cannon going off, followed by tons of smoke.

when everything cleared i heard some distant laughter. it was buddy who was bowhunting from a treestand almost 100 yards away. he said it looked like i blew myself up. those deer disappeared too. i have no idea where they went. :)

GREEN HORNS :lol::lol::lol::jestera::jestera::jestera:

·
Premium Member
24,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
24,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

when everything cleared i heard some distant laughter. it was buddy who was bowhunting from a treestand almost 100 yards away. he said it looked like i blew myself up. those deer disappeared too. i have no idea where they went. /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
That there is funny lol

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Glad you got it out Moss. I am sick but still going out tomorrow after a six year hiatus. Kept having kids in the winter and also wounded one before my first son was born so I gave it up for a while. (The wounded deer really got to me.) Anyhow think you will really enjoy hunting with a flintlock. Next to archery it might be my favorite hunting season.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I bought my T/C 50 cal back in the 70's and have forgotten the powder a few times, luckily it's not hard to get some 4F behind the ball to shoot it out. When I loaded mine yesterday I used a 54 cal patch that was thicker than the patches I normally use and really had a hard time getting the ball seated.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The other day when sighting in my brothers new gun, I got interrupted by a neighbor bringing a Christmas gift and forgot the powder charge. After 2 pan flashes i realized my mistake when i counted load tubes. I used my RMC Co2 gun through the touch hole and discharged the conical that way.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Had a H&R Huntsman MANY years ago.To prevent the telescoping rod from breaking I had a 12" piece of wood rod. Launched quit a few the 1st year till I started to remember to dump the rod out.
Always said there are 2 ways of learning.
By learning from others mistakes or by making the mistake yourself. One costs more than the other!

Reactions: Moss

·
Registered
85 Posts
I dry loaded before.
I was able to pull the ball, with the screw in ball puller and the use of a t handle on the ram rod.
I have a Lyman Great Plains and I'm new at it.
I upgraded the ramrod to a brass rod and got all the attachments from RMC out of Bellefonte, PA.
The brass is heavy , but I know me and I would break the wooden ramrod in the woods.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I have a nice hickory ramrod that gunbuilder Brad Emig fitted to my PA Mountain Rifle he built. Not a lot of grab length on rod so found a ramrod puller to be invaluable. It also serves as a useful tool if needing to pull a ball/or conical with any ramrod.

·
Super Moderator
7,842 Posts
A brass workrod with a T on the end can be useful for such things, because then the only weak link, if you want to call them that, is the threads on the puller/in the rod.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
A brass workrod with a T on the end can be useful for such things, because then the only weak link, if you want to call them that, is the threads on the puller/in the rod.
Yep...exactly what I use at the range. Don't carry it in the field but guess you could..

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
The brass is heavy , but I know me and I would break the wooden ramrod in the woods.

The Delrin nylon rods that TOW sells are a good compromise, light and indestructible. Wood is traditional and looks better, but the first time you break one and run the splintered shaft through your hand, you'll decide that will never happen again. Been there, have the tee-shirt (and the scar). :plain:

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
....well...I double loaded mine the other day target shooting. ..never thought it'd happen to me but it did. As soon as I was push rod down about half way I realized I messed up...finished pushing and didn't get to my "hot" mark on rod.
...lots of fun getting those out lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts